The recent report by the Open Signal team which showed the good points and bad points of Android fragmentation, also allowed the team to collate the different names given to Android devices. You are likely familiar with popular names like the Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One or Nexus 7 but what about the Piranha Business Tab 10.1 Zeus White! Now trying saying that quickly ten times.
Here is a run down of the ten weirdest names given to an Android device:
10) HTC Supersonic – At least HTC has chosen real words here (unlike some of the other entries later) but really do you want a phone that travels faster than the speed of sound!
9) HTC Lexikon – Another entry from HTC this time with a misspelling of the word Lexicon, I hope the built-in spell checker is better. To be fair to HTC this phone did get renamed to the HTC Merge, I guess after someone spotted the spelling mistake!
8) Exagerate XZPAD700 – Talking of spelling mistakes, that isn’t how you spell exaggerate and that serial number is a mouthful. If it was the E Z PAD 700 I might understand… Trying telling your friends you got the latest XZPAD700 and see what they say!
7) R09 Crystal Apples – Most phones or tablets like to put model numbers at the end, apparently not so for the Crystal Apples!
6) Pentagram Eon Prime 2 – Just missing the top five, this seven inch tablet might appeal to those who walk near the dark side!
And here is the top five:
5) Piranha Business Tab 10.1 Zeus White – Is it a predator, a business gadget or a Greek god… Could it be all three! This one makes the top five just because it is absolute overkill… But again at least they didn’t call it the ‘Man-eating Shark Business Tab 10.1 available in Heavenly White.’
4) TurboPad 1000 – This is either a bad vacuum cleaner from the 1980′s or else someone needs to look for another job.
3) Unusual Vortex Dual – Like something from the Twilight Zone, this pad will suck you into another dimension. Try going into your local retailer and asking if they stock one of these!
2) Wiko Cink Peax – Any clues anyone? A play on words in French maybe?
1) To be filled by O.E.M. – My absolute favorite. The tablet maker had one job to do, pick a product name and they couldn’t even do that. Reminds me of Abbott and Costello: “Now, on the St. Louis team we have Who’s on first, What’s on second, I Don’t Know is on third…”
Do you know of any strangely named Android devices, please share them by leaving a comment below.
Like this post? Share it!
since HTC is taiwan…they maybe not just use english words…might be a misspelling, but “Lexikon” is written right in german language at least ;)
O+ (oh plus) and torque mobile.
No play on words in French for the Winko Cink Peax. Only a weird name ..! :)
How about the HTC Shooter. That’s the code name for the HTC EVO 3D and I always thought it was weird.
I assume it’s called that because it shoots in 3D. Who knows.
a shooter is slang name for a camera (pocket ones)
Yes. I realize that, haha. :D
But you could call all phones a shooter then, since 99.9% have a camera. Just saying. :)
For the Cink Peak, absolutely no idea. It means nothing in french …
Gotta ask them, never thinked about the fact that the name was so strange …
is there is blackberry in the us, there is cherry mobile in the philippines running android.
i have the piranha one :D available in turkey
I’ve always been amused by how many of HTC’s phone names would work on condoms.
For Example. The Sensation XL
Yes, and the Desire X. Maybe even the myTouch and ChaCha.
It gets better if you include internal code names (which I’m inclined not to, but “Lexikon” was one of those, and it made it into the article). They include the Stallion, Rider, Vigor, Bliss, Shooter…
I think that the guy who gives HTC phhones their names,actually worked in Durex
WTF….. I can’t help stop laughing while reading this article until tears drops from my eyes while laughing.
For : Wiko Cink Peax – Any clues anyone? A play on words in French maybe?
I’m french and I can’t understand :)
It’s a reference to Twin Peaxs a TV serie :)
In french : Le nom du CINK PEAX fait référence à une célèbre et mystérieuse série des 90’s… Alors, une idée ? – Twin Peaks !
Mais on peut aussi lire en filigrane du nom PEAX l’arrivée de la résolution qHD chez Wiko.
Eh oui, le CINK PEAX apprivoise les pixels rebelles :) !
Verzo Kinzo – that´s my Android phone :) (not from Japanese, but company from Czech republic made it :))