ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery is an essential tool for Android developers and enthusiasts. This tool allows you to flash ROMs, install updates, perform full wipes, create a backup of your current ROM, and a lot more. Usually, the Volume keys and Power button are used to navigate and interact with this tool.
A new variant of CWM has also emerged that allows you to use the tool without using the phone’s physical buttons. Recognized XDA Developers member cruzin_cruzing has developed a ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for your HTC Vivid.
Although this is not the official ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for the HTC Vivid, the tool will allow you to enjoy the features of CWM with just a tap on your phone’s screen. Read on to learn how to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 to your HTC Vivid.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T’s HTC Vivid. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An HTC Vivid with an unlocked bootloader.
- You can unlock your phone’s bootloader through HTC’s developer page. Take note that unlocking your phone’s bootloader will break your warranty.
- Download the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 184.108.40.206 (unofficial-clockworkmod-touch-220.127.116.11.img, md5sum: 746833861c52461fa36593b11dfe6c4b).
- Download the Fastboot package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB). This will allow you to perform Fastboot commands on your computer.
- A file extraction tool such WinRAR or 7-Zip installed on your Windows computer
- Download and install HTC Sync to your computer. This will install the required USB Drivers for HTC Vivid. Make sure to close HTC Sync before following the procedures below.
- Disable system tools such as firewall programs, anti-virus software, and HTC Sync to prevent any interruptions during the flashing procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- To ensure that your phone has enough power for the entire procedure, charge your phone’s battery to 70% or more.
- Download the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 18.104.22.168 image and the Fastboot package from the links above.
- Extract Fastboot.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Rename unofficial-clockworkmod-touch-22.214.171.124.img to recovery.img to make the file name shorter.
- Transfer recovery.img to the folder where you extracted the Fastboot package.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Reboot HTC Vivid into Bootloader Mode. You can do that by holding the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously until bootloader boots.
- NOTE: Once booted into Bootloader Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Fastboot from the bootloader menu.
- Connect your HTC Vivid to the computer via USB Cable. The bootloader screen should say “FASTBOOT USB.”
- Open a command prompt window on your computer and navigate to where the Fastboot program is located.
- NOTE: If you are using Windows 7, you can easily open a command prompt window from specific folder. Open the desired folder. Press Shift and right mouse button in any vacant part in the folder. A menu will appear. Select Open Command Window Here and a command prompt will appear with the location of the selected folder.
- To check if your phone has successfully connected to the computer, type the command
fastboot devicesand press Enter. Your phone’s serial number will appear on the screen. If it doesn’t work, make sure you have installed the appropriate USB drivers for your phone.
- Type the command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.imgto flash ClocworkMod Touch Recovery 126.96.36.199 on your mobile phone.
- After the installation process, a “Finished/OKAY” message will appear on the screen.
- Reboot your mobile phone by typing
fastboot rebootat the command prompt and press the Enter key.
- To boot your phone into ClockworkMod Touch Recovery Mode, reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode in the same manner as in step 6. Select Recovery from the bootloader menu to boot into ClockworkMod Touch Recovery Mode.
Voila! You have successfully flashed ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 on your HTC Vivid. You can safely flash custom ROMs and create backups on your phone.