It seems like there’s an Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) invasion as ICS-based custom ROMs for several devices are popping up like mushrooms. Users surely are welcoming this invasion with open arms, as they could finally try out Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices without waiting for the official OTA updates.
The Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 (T-Mobile’s variant of the Samsung Galaxy S) is also now ready to be conquered by ICS, as a new custom ROM for this device has been released.
Called Ice Cream Zenwich, this custom ROM is a port of the AOKP ROM for the Nexus S by XDA Developers member Br1cK’d. It offers a high number of inbuilt customization options, as well as some stock ICS performance sans Samsung’s proprietary TouchWiz UI.
As far as the status of this ROM is concerned, it is still being actively developed, which means that several features may still be buggy or completely nonfunctional. Hopefully, fixes will be available in the coming days. Some of the problems in this ROM as identified by the developer include issues with autobrightness, unconfirmed issue with mute/unmute, and potentially nonfunctional 911 emergency calls.
If you’re eager to try this custom ROM on your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959, check our tutorial below.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Sufficiently charged battery (at least 50% is recommended).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the Ice Cream Zenwich custom ROM (ICZen_1.8.4.zip, MD5sum: 16d618fa492e3606c5f6e18d47664483).
- Copy the ROM file to the root of the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off your phone. Make sure it is completely powered down before proceeding.
- Reboot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery: press and hold down the Volume Up , Volume Down, and Power buttons all together until the screen turns on.
- Fully wipe your phone data:
- Select Wipe data / factory reset and confirm the operation.
- Go to Mounts and storage > Format /system and confirm that you want to format the system.
- In main menu of recovery, select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard, then choose the ROM file that you copied to your phone earlier.
- Select “Yes” and flashing of the ROM will now start.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Reboot the phone. Leave it untouched for about 10 minutes.
- Reboot the phone one last time.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 now runs Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, thanks to the Ice Cream Zenwich custom ROM.