The Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 is getting its share of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, thanks to a port provided by Team Android Jelly Bean, which also ported the software to the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
With this new software on your Samsung Vibrant, you can enjoy interesting features like offline voice typing, improved Google search, and better notifications. Features that are working in the ported ROM include the touchscreen, GPU, buttons with haptic feedback, Project Butter, and ADB.
However, since the ROM is still in its early stage of being ported, a few bugs are likely to be expected and you are not advised to use this as a daily ROM. But, you can reasonably expect this ported ROM to become more stable over the course of time as developers continue to work on it.
Here are the things you need to do to upgrade Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- The instructions for this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959. Applying these instructions on another device may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 running an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. You may check these posts for help, hints, and guides:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data. (eg., contacts, SMS, MMS, WI-Fi passwords and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases some data.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is charged to 60% more. This will ensure that your phone will not turn off while in the process of installation.
- Download the latest version of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM for the Samsung Vibrant (JellyBean_Build_1_Vibrant.zip, 122.95 MB).
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to the internal SD card of the phone. Do not extract the file.
- Turn off your phone and boot it to ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the screen turns on.
- Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down, and the Power button to select an option when in Recovery Mode.
- Backup your existing ROM by creating a NANDroid backup. This will help you restore the ROM in recovery in cases when the ROM does not work properly on the phone.
- To make a backup, select Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup again, and wait until it finishes.
- Go back to main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, and select Yes to confirm. Wait for a couple of minutes until the data wipe completes.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card. From here, select Choose ZIP From SD Card. Locate the ROM from your SD Card and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes.
- Once the installation is completed, select Go Back and Reboot System Now.
Kudos! Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has now been successfully installed on your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.