The Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) spree is not over yet as a new ICS update can now be installed on your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959. Developed by XDA Senior Member toryheal and a group of other developers, the RMS ROM brings the goodies of Android 4.0.4 ICS build IMM76I to your mobile phone.
Based on the Android 4.0.4 ICS update for the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000, the RMS custom ROM lets you enjoy the following treats:
- Enhanced notification bar
- Brightness control in status and notification bar
- Numeric battery indicator
- Reboot, Recovery, and Screenshot added in Power menu
- Use the Power button to take pictures in Camera app
- T9 Dialer
- Busybox and SuperSU installed
- and much more
Take note that this is a work-in-progress ROM, so expect some bugs when installing the RMS ROM. Nevertheless, this ROM is stable enough for daily use. Read on to learn how to flash the RMS ROM to your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Vibrant (T959) with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the RMS ROM (RMS_ROM_v1.6.1_Gapps.zip, 201 MB).
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) for this ROM (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, md5sum: 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c).
- Battery power of 70% or more.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the ROM package and GApps package from the links provided above.
- Copy both downloaded files to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your Samsung Vibrant.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key, Volume Up key, and Power button simultaneously until the “Vibrant” logo appears on the screen. Wait until your phone boots into Recovery Mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid backup before flashing the ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. This will create a backup of your current ROM.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the RMS_ROM_v1.5_Gapps.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your Samsung Vibrant.
- Go back to main menu and flash the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip in the same manner in steps 8 and 9.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Fix Permissions.
- Return to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
- Once fully booted, let your phone sit for about 10 minutes.
- Reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build IMM76I via the RMS ROM. Your phone will be more vibrant with this updated ROM on board.