The update to Android 2.1 for the Motorola Droid has arrived for a small portion of the Droid user-base. However, if you want to manually update your Droid, you can do so quite easily. If you decide that you cannot wait until the weekend when all Droid users are expected to have the update, then perform the following steps.
1. Download the official OTA.
2. Rename the file you downloaded (signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip) to update.zip
3. Put the files in the root of your SD card
4. Turn on your Droid by pressing the “x” on the keyboard AND the power botton. You should observe a triangle with an exclamation point inside on the screen.
5. Press the volume up button and the camera button at the same time. You may have to do this a few times until it goes to the bootloader.
6. Navigate to the update.zip file by using the D-Pad, do not interrupt the process once it starts.
7. Android 2.1should now be successfully installed.
[Via Android Community]