After the Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware leak, developers started to make their own Custom ROMs and one of the most stable Custom ROM out there is the Icylicious ROM by ATGAdmin of XD Developers Forum. With this ROM you don’t have to root it because it already rooted once you install the ROM, also he remove some of the Acer application to free some space and make it faster.
If you want to update your device, just follow the simple steps below.
- Make sure that your device battery is charge at least 60%
- Backup your device data into your computer.
- Turn on USB Debugging, on your homescreen tap Menu> Settings> Application> Development. Then, make sure that USB debugging is checked.
- Acer Iconia A500 (rooted and CWM recovery installed)
- USB Data Cable
- First, download the KJY_2010_Icylicious_REV_12.zip to your computer.
- Then, connect your device to the computer using your USB Data Cable.
- Next, copy the zip file to the root directory of your SD card.
- Disconnect your device to the computer.
- Turn off your device.
- Go to recovery mode.
- Once you’re in the recovery mode, do a Nandroid Backup by selecting Backup and Restore> Backup. (This will make a full backup of your existing ROM, and save it to the SD card. You can restore from this backup, if something gets messed up with the installation.)
- Now do a full wipe by selecting Mount and Storage then wipe the following:
- Format System
- Format Data
- Format Cache
- Go back to main menu and select advance then wipe dalvik-cache.
- From the main menu select install zip from Sd card> choose zip from Sd card> then select the KJY_2010_Icylicious_REV_12.zip to start flashing the MIUI 4 ROM.
- Finally, go back to main menu and select Reboot system now.
Congratulations, you can now enjoy exploring your new Acer Iconia A500 running on Icylicious ROM (ICS).