How to Unbrick the Samsung Galaxy Player 5
The Samsung Galaxy Player 5, also known as the Samsung Galaxy S 5.0 WiFi, is a fantastic device for media playback and entertainment. It is said to be Samsung’s Android-armed response to the iPod Touch, which has been ruling the multimedia scene over the years. The device very much resembles the Samsung Galaxy S or T-Mobile’s Samsung Vibrant featuring a larger screen minus the GSM module. The device runs on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread.
Just like any other Android device, the Galaxy Player 5 can be customized and reconfigured to your heart’s desire. You can root it, flash custom ROMs on it, install applications to it from the Android Market, as well as apply themes to further personalize your device.
Just like any other Android device, the Galaxy Player 5 is at risk of being bricked, especially when you tinker with it (e.g., flashing custom ROMs). When you brick your device, it becomes dead and useless.
However, thanks to coders at the XDA Developers forum, you can resurrect your dead and bricked Galaxy Player 5 by bringing it back to its original state. Developers have released a full-stock ROM that can do that.
If you’ve bricked your Galaxy Player 5 and want to bring it back from the dead, read on for instructions on how to resurrect it.
Requirements and Warnings
- Uninstall Samsung KIES on your PC as it may disrupt the Odin software from performing its normal task.
- Install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- This ROM is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Player 5 with model number YP-G70 8G INTERNATIONAL. Please style=”text-decoration: underline;”>do not attempt to flash the ROM if your device has a different model number.
- Download the following and save all files into one folder on your computer:
- Run Odin3 on your computer.
- Press the PDA button in the Odin3 window.
- Select the ROM file named “G70-recovery.tar.rar” to load it into Odin3. If you can’t select the said file, try extracting the file using any RAR extraction software such as WinRAR and then load the extracted TAR file into Odin3.
- Press the PIT button in Odin3.
- Select the PIT file named “G70-GalaxyPlayer5.0-8gig-Inter_model_2.3.5.pit” in order to load it into Odin3.
- Under “Option” in Odin3, check the following options (leave the other options style=”text-decoration: underline;”>notchecked):
- Auto Reboot
- F. Reset Time
- Phone Bootloader Update
- Turn off your Galaxy Player 5.
- Reboot the device into download mode by pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for couple of seconds until a yellow triangle begins to appear.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB cable
- Once you connect your device, you should see the ID:COM box in Odin3 turn yellow and display a COM port number. This means that Odin3 has successfully communicated with your device.
- Press the Start button in Odin3 to begin the flashing process. It may take a couple of minutes for the installation to complete. Once it finishes the box above the COM port should turn green with a “Pass” message indicating a successful installation.
- Reboot your device.
Congratulations! You just successfully flashed the full stock ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Hopefully, reflashing the stock ROM will resurrect it from the dead and unbrick it.