It’s definitely thrilling to take one’s device to the next level, which is essentially why a lot of people root their devices to be able to install custom ROMs.
Exciting as it may seem, installing custom ROMs involves the risk of your device’s being bricked in the process. It can be very unfortunate if you own a premium device that you could not afford to be damaged–such as the HTC EVO View 4G.
In the case of a rooted HTC EVO View 4G (with S-Off) upgraded with the OTA Android 3.2 Honeycomb update, users who attempted to apply the OTA update ended up soft-bricking their devices. Luckily, there is a solution for you to fix your problem and unbrick your device. Read on to find out how to do it.
Before we get down to business, be sure to comply with the requirements listed below.
- Download and install ADB in your system. Check out our guide about ADB and how to use it.
- Download a custom recovery image. Get it here.
- If you had a Nandroid backup of your previously working ROM, have it ready. Or, if you want to flash a new custom ROM, download the ROM file and save it to your computer.
If you are already done with the requirements on the list, proceed by following the instructions below. Remember to follow the each steps carefully and make sure that you won’t skip any to successfully unbrick your HTC EVO View 4G.
NOTE: Proceed with this procedure at your own risk. We shall hold no liability over whatever outcome this procedure will produce.
- On your computer, locate the folder where “fastboot.exe” is located. It is usually inside /tools or /platform-tools in the Android SDK folder.
- Copy the custom recovery image into that same folder.
- Turn off your HTC EVO View 4G.
- Reboot the device into Hboot mode by holding the Volume Down key and the Power button together.
- Then, from the options on the list, select “fastboot” using the Volume keys. Press the Power button to confirm.
- Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
- On the computer, open a command prompt.
- At the command prompt, change directory to where fastboot is located.
- Type the following at the command exactly as shown (except the quotes) and press the Enter key: “fastboot flash recovery cwm-18.104.22.168-express.img”
- The command above will flash the custom recovery image to your device.
- Go back to Hboot menu.
- Select “Recovery” from the options list. Use the Volume keys to scroll through the list, and the Power button to select.
- Once the device is in recovery mode, you can now either restore the Nandroid backup of your previous ROM, or install/flash a new custom ROM.
- Reboot your device into normal mode afterwards.
Congratulations! You have successfully unbricked your HTC EVO View 4G.