Are you bored with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich already? The Android 4.0 ICS upgrade was a major release that caused a lot of Android fans to demand phone companies to deliver ICS upgrades for those with stock non-ICS running smartphones. But, while most of us are still exploring Ice Cream Sandwich, Google has recently unveiled its sweet new OS codenamed Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Aside from the fact that Google has integrated Project Butter into Jelly Bean (which means saying goodbye to lags while running an Android OS), some other exciting new features in Jelly Bean are a better keyboard, Google Now, new notifications, new maps, upgraded Android Beam (better NFC functionality), gesture mode, and a whole lot more new features and improvements.
Are ready for this tasty new OS? Good news for all Asus Transformer Pad TF300T owners because the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has just been released for U.S. owners. Non-US owners can also rejoice because in this tutorial, we will show you how to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean up and running on your device even if you are not from the U.S.
In this guide, learn how to manually upgrade the Transformer Pad TF300T to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean official update.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Transformer Pad, model number TF300T. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Transformer TF300T with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing ASUS Pad PC Suite via Asus’ support page.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable ASUS Pad PC Suite and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- USB cable for Asus Transformer TF300T
- Download the required files:
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing Android Firmware version 220.127.116.11.30
- Copy US_epaduser9_4_3_30UpdateLauncher.zip to the tablet's internal SD card.
- Shut down the tablet and then boot to ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until you see “Press Volume Up to enter RCK (5s)” on the screen. Press and hold down Volume Up within 5 seconds to enter CWM recovery.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup by going to Backup and Restore then select Backup.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe data/factory reset and choose Yes to confirm.
- Go back to the main menu and navigate to Advanced then select Wipe Dalvik cache.
- Go back to the main menu and navigate to Install ZIP from SD card and Choose ZIP from SD card. Then look for the US_epaduser9_4_3_30UpdateLauncher.zip and select it. This will install Android firmware version 18.104.22.168 on the tablet.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now.
Rooting and upgrading to Jelly Bean
Rooting the device will be the next step before finally upgrading to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- Enable Unknown sources on the device by navigating to Settings > Security.
- Connect the device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Extract the files inside the DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3.zip to a folder on your computer.
- Open the folder and double-click on the RootDebugfs.bat file and follow the on-screen instructions to root your device.
- After successfully rooting the device, download and install a file manager app that has root access such as Root Explorer (file manager) from the Google Play Store.
- Extract the file inside command.zip and copy the command and dlpkgfile files to the tablet's internal SD card.
- Open the file manager app on the tablet and do the following:
- Copy the dlpkgfile file to the /cache folder on the tablet.
- Copy the command file to the /cache/recovery folder on the tablet.
- Reboot your tablet to start the update process, which will begin automatically.
- Once the process is complete, your tablet will reboot into the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Congratulations! You are now running the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Asus Transformer Pad TF300T. Enjoy your newly upgraded device!