There's no helping it. Jelly Bean is just everywhere. Most Android communities and forums have been rolling out write-ups and releases all related to Jelly Bean, be they custom ROMs, (un)official updates, and other mods and tweaks. It's just like setting a trend for Android users, implying that if your device is not on Jelly Bean, then you are missing out on a lot of the fun.
Most Android users know what features Jelly Bean has and are very eager to install it on their devices. Thank the heavens for hardworking developers, any Android user and Android device can have a chance to get on the Jelly Bean bandwagon.
Today's main attraction is the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T. A preview of CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean ROM is now out and available for Asus Transformer Pad owners.
In the requirements and instructions below, you will learn how to upgrade the Transformer Pad TF300T to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (unofficial port) for the said tablet.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the ASUS Transformer Pad, model number TF300T. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- A Windows PC.
- Your tablet's USB cable.
- 7-Zip, WinRAR, or any archive extraction tool installed on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your tablet.
- Download and install the USB device drivers (ASUS Android USB Drivers.zip, md5sum: 43af8f39ed421caabecd6c4a2de17212) for your tablet on your PC.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download he following files to your computer:
- See to it that your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CM10 Jelly Bean Round 10 ROM file and the GApps (Google Apps) package to your tablet's internal SD card.
- On your computer, extract the contents of the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive. You will get a folder named Fastboot that has four files inside.
- Open the CM10 ROM ZIP file and copy the boot.blob file into the Fastboot folder you obtained from step 2. You should have 5 files by then.
- Switch your tablet off then boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen turns on and a message saying “Press Volume Up to Enter RCK (5s)” appears. In less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up key to enter ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait until the data wipe is done.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Select the CyanogenMod 10 ZIP file and confirm the installation on the next screen.
- After completing the installation of the ROM, install the GApps package file in the same manner as in step 6.
- Once installation is done, select Go back and choose Power Off from the Advanced menu to switch off the tablet.
- Press and hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons until the screen turns on and a message saying “Press Volume Up to Enter RCK (5s)” appears. This time, don't press the Volume Up button and just wait for 5 seconds until a new menu appears. In less than 10 seconds, press the Volume Down key to highlight the USB icon. Press the Volume Up key to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- NOTE: Make sure to press the Volume Down key in less than 10 seconds; otherwise, you'll have to repeat this step.
- On your computer, open a command prompt.
- Type the following commands on the command prompt to flash the boot.blob file. Press the Enter button each time you type in a command:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash boot boot.blob
- When flashing is done, you should get an “OKAY” message in the command prompt.
- Enter the following at the command prompt to reboot your tablet:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot
- Your tablet will reboot to the newly installed CM10 ROM. You can exit the command prompt window after typing in the reboot command.
Great job! Your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T is now running on the Jelly Bean-based CyanogenMod 10 ROM. You can finally have a dose of the Jelly Bean craze on your tablet.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.