Custom ROMs have definitely brought joy to both phone and tablet users. With ROMs quickly expanding to different devices, users are no longer obliged to wait for official releases especially if their device has a very slim chance of receiving an update like Ice Cream Sandwich. Many users resort to installing custom ROMs on their devices and more often than not, these custom ROMs pack more features than the official releases from device makers.
Just recently, XDA Developers senior member termleech worked on an AOKP ROM for the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T. The tablet, which has a 10.1-inch LED backlight touchscreen and an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, was released to the market carrying Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, the tablet can run on Android 4.0.4, which means faster performance and greater options for customization, thanks to the efforts of the developer.
If you have an Asus Transformer Pad TF300T and want to try this ROM out, follow the requirements and instructions below.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Transformer Pad, model number TF300T. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Asus Transformer Pad TF300T with the latest ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery installed. See these guides for help:
- See to it that your tablet’s battery is at charged to at least 75% to make sure that the tablet doesn’t turn off in the middle of the process.
- Enable USB debugging. To do this, head to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Make sure to tick the check box beside the USB debugging option.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- AOKP ROM Build 39 from here or here (aokp_tf300t_unofficial_20120622_0911_build-39.zip, md5sum: cc7fcec6888a7f12a0c050c0ce6a6a47)
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, md5sum: 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c)
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP ROM ZIP file and the GApps ZIP file to your tablet’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your tablet and reboot to ClockworkMod Recovery (or TWRP Recovery if you have TWRP installed). To do this, hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together until a message that says “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)” appears on the screen. In less than five (5) seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter Recovery Mode.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM in case of problems with this AOKP ROM. To perform a NANDroid backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup. After backup is done, head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and on the next screen, select Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card then select Choose ZIP From SD Card and select the aokp_tf300t_unofficial_20120617_2100_build-39.zip file. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install aokp_tf300t_unofficial_20120617_2100_build-39.zip on the next screen. The ROM will then start to install.
- Install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 7. This will install apps like the Play Store, Gmail, etc.
- After the GApps package is installed, select Go Back and select Reboot System Now. This will reboot and boot your tablet to the newly installed AOKP ROM.
- If, for some reason, you want to go back to your previous ROM, just turn off your tablet and boot into recovery. From there, select Backup and Restore, then select Restore. Press the Power button to start restoring to your previous ROM and once restoring is complete, Go Back and select Reboot System Now. Your tablet will now boot to your previous ROM.
Congratulations! Your Asus Transformer Pad TF300T now has the AOKP ROM Build 39 installed.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.