Top 6 Android stories this week: Moto E, One Mini 2, and Android Silver
This week in your world of Android: Motorola introduced the amazingly cheap Moto E, the hotly anticipated G3 broke cover, LG teased more G Pads, Samsung put a launch date on the Tab S, HTC revealed the beautiful One Mini 2, and we learned the possible launch date of the Android Silver program.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few words. It’s Android Weekly.
Budget is no longer a dirty word
While its competitors are busy fighting each other at the high-end of the market, Motorola is quietly undermining them with cheap, attractive devices. The Moto E, starting from $129, got everyone talking this week, and that alone should worry incumbents.
- Moto E announced: here’s what you need to know
- First look at the $129 Moto E, the little phone that could
Oh look, it’s the G3
Just in case you missed all the leaks, LG began teasing the G3 this week, with a video that all but reveals its design, but stops short from giving hints of the phone’s specs and features.
- LG G3 looks brushed up and good to go in first teaser video
- LG G3 shows up press shots, clearest look at the phone yet
The G Pad Family
In the week’s other big LG news, the Korean company will release a bunch of new G Pad tablets. Let’s hope they live up to the original G Pad, one of the nicest tablets of 2013.
- LG adding three sizes to G Pad line – new 7, 8 and 10.1-inch tablets
- LG G Pad 7 specs detailed in benchmark, powered by Snapdragon 400
AMOLED tablets return on June 12
More leaks completed the picture of the AMOLED-equipped Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and 10.5, and now we also have a launch date to attach to Samsung’s latest tablets. The Korean giant all but confirmed the Tab S line will debut on June at its Premiere 2014 event.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S SM-T800 shown off in more photos, this time by the FCC
- Samsung readying 3 stunning tablets, among them is the 13.3-inch “Warhol”
- Samsung Premiere 2014 set for June 12, here come the AMOLED tablets!
HTC One Mini 2: mid-range specs in a premium body
The HTC One Mini 2 is essentially a slightly smaller One (M8), on the outside at least. Its innards are less exciting, but for some people, looks are more important than personality. Who are we to judge?
- HTC One Mini 2 announced: specs, features, and availability
- Hands-on with the HTC One Mini 2: a visual presentation
Notorious leaker @evleaks just confirmed the worst fears of Nexus fans. There won’t be a “Nexus 6”, he says, and Android Silver devices may only launch in February of 2015. Can you wait that long?
What’s the biggest Android story this week? Tell us in the comments.