This week in your world of Android: the HTC One Mini 2 leaked, the G3 showed of its brushed metal finish, the AMOLED-equipped Tab S broke cover, a wave of leaks revealed the ultra-cheap Moto E, Google pushed a big update to Maps, Huawei launched the Ascend P7, and the first traces of the next Nexus device showed up online.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few words. It’s Android Weekly.
Here comes the One Mini 2
Just in case you didn’t know, HTC was preparing a little brother for the aluminum-clad M8, leakers this week revealed the One Mini 2 for all to see. Sleek design, decent specs, maybe a good price too? Count us in!
- First image of the HTC One Mini 2 leaks
- HTC One Mini 2 spotted in the wild, features yellow accent color
LG G3 shines, literally
Two weeks to go to the G3’s official unveiling, and leaks are coming in furiously. This week’s crop suggests the G3 will be sporting a sexy brushed-metal finish. The big question – will it be plastic or aluminum?
- Is the LG G3 packing a stylus? Or is it simply an antenna?
- LG G3 will offer removable battery, possibly a metal body as well
- LG G3 leaked images gives us a detailed look at gold variant
Big, beautiful AMOLED screens are coming
Three years since the Tab 7.7, it’s high time for another AMOLED tablet, and Samsung is ready to make our wishes come true. The Tab S will come in 8.4 and 10.5 inches varieties, and feature high-end specifications and a Galaxy S5-like design.
- Samsung’s new Tab S tablets will feature 2560×1600 AMOLED displays, fingerprint sensors – leak
- Galaxy Tab S leaks in all its 10.5-inch AMOLED glory
Moto E: budget Android never looked so good
Motorola has long talked about its goal to make great phones that everyone can afford, and now it’s finally making good on its promise. Due to launch next week, the Moto E may redefine the term “budget”.
Google updates Maps and other apps
Maps gained a bunch of new features this week, including lane guidance, Uber integration, and improved routing. Google also pushed important updates to Wallet, Camera, and Play Services.
- Google Maps updated, gets Uber Integration and more
- Google Wallet and Google Camera both get updates this ‘Update Wednesday’
- Google Play Services 4.4 rolling out now – request more Game Gifts and see more Street View everywhere you walk, or run
The thin Ascend P7 is here
At 6.5 millimeters, the Ascend P7 is one of the thinnest, nicest looking phones out there. But it’s not just good looks – the P7 is a proper update over last year’s P6 in every way that matters.
HTC Nexus, Android TV spotted?
Saving the best for last, eagle eyed users spotted references to mysterious new devices in Google’ Chromium code. “Flounder” may be the upcoming HTC-made Nexus tablet, while “Molly” appears to be the codename for Google’s first Android TV set-top-box.
- Chrome Issue tracker may have tipped ‘Flounder’ as code-name for upcoming Nexus
- More evidence of HTC Nexus appears, possible Nexus set-top box too
What was the biggest Android story this week? Tell us in the comments!