Manually update your G1 firmware….at your own risk, that is.
It seems that the guys at the XDA Developers site have figured out how to download and install the latest firmware update from a microSD memory card.
You first need to download the firmware update file. It might take multiple attempts, sometimes the link doesn’t work.
- Copy the file as “update.zip” to the root of a microSD card
- Make sure the phone is off. Put the card into the G1, hold down the home key, and turn the phone on while continuing to hold down the home key
- When you see a triangle and small pic of a phone, open the keyboard and hit ALT-L
- When you get a screen full of yellow text, press ALT-S
- When that is finished, press home and back at the same time to cause the phone to reboot- it will then go through the normal flashing process that we already showed you
We haven’t done this ourselves since our phones received the OTA update. So if you are the impatient type and are willing to take the risk, give it a go and let us know how it works out for you in the comments.
EDITOR IN CHIEF
Darcy is the editor in chief at Android Authority. He follows the latest trends and is extremely passionate about mobile technology. With a keen eye for spotting emerging trends and reporting them, he works hard to bring you the best analysis, updates, and reports on all things Android. Darcy lives and breathes the latest mobile technology, and believes Android will be on a billion devices in the not too distant future.