If you’d rather buy a tablet that’s a little tougher than the Nexus 7 for kids, who like being a little rougher with their toys, then look no further than the Fuhu Nabi 2 tablet. It costs just as much as the Nexus 7 and comes with the same Tegra 3 processor! The resolution is a little lower, at 1024×600, but since this is a device for kids, that shouldn’t be much a problem.
The full list of specs is as follows:
- Display: 7″ 1024×600
- Processor: 1.3Ghz quad-core Tegra 3
- RAM: 1GB
- Storage: 8GB, microSD card slot
- Camera: 2MP front-facing camera with 720p video capture
- Ports: microUSB, miniHDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Battery: 4,000mAh
- OS: Android 4.0.4
- Dimensions: 6.05″ x 8.69″ x 1.14″ (with bumper case); 1.31 pounds
- Price: $199
- Age Range - The Nabi 2 caters to age groups from Pre-K to around fifth grade
The device is currently available at Walmart, Bestbuy and GameStop. Beginning July 22nd it will also be available on Amazon and Target stores.
One main disadvantage of the Nabi 2 tablet is that it doesn’t have access to the Play Store. But the good news is that you can sideload apps including the Amazon App Store app, which has quite a few games, books and quality apps, although not as many as the Play Store itself.
It also comes with an interface that is specifically designed for kids, so this is the advantage over another off-the-shelf tablet, that might not be as intuitive or as fun-looking as the Nabi 2. All in all, the tablet looks very good for the price, and seems like a perfect tablet for kids.