T-Mobile USA launches myTouch 3G Slide from HTC
Today T-Mobile USA took the wraps off of its latest Android smartphone, the Android-2.1 powered myTouch 3G Slide, which features the HTC Sense user interface. As the name somewhat implies, this version of the myTouch 3G features a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.
Two of the features that T-Mobile is touting on the new device are Faves Gallery and myModes. The Faves Gallery appears to be an extension of HTC’s previously seen “Inner Circle” functionality on Windows Mobile devices like the HTC Snap. It provides a quick way to access all communications with your 20 favorite contacts. It provides instant access to all IM, email, text messages, calls, and contact info for those contacts, and a homescreen widget gives the user fast, one-tap access to contacting those contacts. There is even a special green LED indicator light that tells you when you have missed a communication from a favorite person. We haven’t seen myModes in action yet, but the description suggests that it is something like HTC’s homescreen scenes in HTC Sense devices, but on steroids, in that it allows for multiple homescreen layouts to be defined and switched to automatically based on date/time or location.
The myTouch 3G Slide also features what T-Mobile is calling a “Genius button”. The button lets the user control the phone with her or her voice and can be used for searching or text input.
Some of the myTouch 3G Slide’s highlight specs include HSPA 3G support, a larger 3.4-inch HVGA capacitive touchscreen, Swype on-screen text input, an optical joystick, Wi-Fi, and a 5 megapixel camera. The full spec list and an additional photo are available after the jump.
- Slide out QWERTY keyboard
- Swype. for easy text input on the virtual keyboard
- Enhanced voice recognition and dictation
- Seamless synchronization of consumer and corporate e-mail, calendar and contacts as well as IM, text and MMS capabilities
- Instantly upload and share pictures and videos taken with 5.0-megapixel camera via e-mail, MMS, YouTube, Facebook, Flickr or Picasa
- Robust music player that displays cover album art and lets you toggle between playlists. Music player supports MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, OGG and RM
- Ability to sync your library- -including music, photos or video ¡X onto the device with DoubleTwist.
- Pre-installed 8 GB microSD card
- Stereo Bluetooth/A2DP
- Support for T-Mobile’s 3G network and Wi-Fi
- Full HTML Web browser and digital zoom functionality
- Turn-by-turn (spoken) directions with Google Maps
- Browse and download from thousands of innovative applications on Android Market
- Large 3.4in HVGA touch-screen display
- 5-pane customizable home screen
- Optical joy stick for easy navigation
- The latest Android software – Android 2.1
- Three color options – black, white or red finish
- Dimensions: 4.55in x 2.37in x 0.6in; Weight: 5.8 ounces
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- Dual-band 3G UMTS/HSPA (Bands I & IV)
Additional photos come from PCMag.com’s hands-on of the device. I suggest you check it out.