The leaked details surfaced yesterday, and as of this morning — we have the official confirmation from the carrier. Simply put, Sprint has confirmed that Jelly Bean will begin rolling out to Galaxy S3 users as of today, October 25. According to details coming from Sprint, the update will arrive as Android 4.1.1.
And with that, this means lots of new additions for those rocking a Galaxy S3. Just to begin with, Google Now will be available as will the enhanced notifications.
- Google Now gets you just the right information at just the right time, like how much traffic to expect before you leave for work or when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform. Google Now can be launched by pressing and holding the menu key from the home screen.
- Expandable, actionable notifications allowing you to take action directly from the notifications shade.
Otherwise, this update will also bring the following goodies; Android Beam, improved widgets, multiple keyboard options to include Swype, the Blocking Mode, the Easy Mode and Camera enhancements. And while each of these additions are decent in their own respect, lets break down the camera a bit further. Sprint details the Camera enhancements as follows;
- New live camera and camcorder filters offer a range of new ways to spark your creativity. Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights (blue, green, red/yellow), and many more are selectable from the main camera screen.
- Pause and resume while recording video allows users to string together multiple captured video clips from a party, birthday, or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required.
- Low light photo mode takes advantage of Galaxy S III’s best-in-class High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities and offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.
Finally, the Jelly Bean update will be arriving over-the-air, which simply means that you should keep an eye out for the update notification to arrive on your handset.
Today, Sprint became the first U.S. wireless carrier to offer the Android™ 4.1.1, Jelly Bean, update to its Samsung Galaxy S® III customers. The update began rolling out today and adds a host of new and enhanced TouchWiz® features, offering a faster, richer and more responsive device experience.
The update is available as an over the air update. When your Galaxy S III is eligible for the update, it will automatically download. Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to install the update. Installation will take a few minutes, and your device will be disabled during the installation process. It will be ready to use when the process is complete.
Jelly Bean offers users a smoother, faster and more fluid experience with expanded feature functionality, including:
Samsung also added new capabilities to Galaxy S III, including:
With the Jelly Bean update, Galaxy S III will also add support for some exciting new accessories.