Sony Xperia SP launched in India for Rs 27,490
Following the launch of its Xperia Z and ZL flagship smartphones in the country, Sony India has now decided to bolster its mid-range offerings, starting with the Sony Xperia SP, which the company officially launched in India today. The Xperia SP, which was announced a month ago, is great mid-range alternative to the 2013 flagship devices, and boasts impressive specifications, including –
- 4.6-inch TFT LCD display with 1280×720 resolution
- 1.7 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus processor
- Adreno 320 GPU
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage, expandable via microSD up to 32GB
- 8MP rear camera, 0.3 MP front camera
- 2,370 mAh battery
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
As you can see, the specifications are certainly impressive for a mid-range device, but unfortunately, features a price point which reflects that, with the Sony Xperia SP officially launched at Rs 27,490 (~$518). It’s not that it is any more expensive than other mid-range offerings from international manufacturers, but with the recent price cuts for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X and One X+, it will be a tough sell. That being said, the specifications of the Sony Xperia SP aren’t lacking by much compared to last year’s flagship devices, and is still a good choice at that price range.
Additionally, Sony Xperia SP owners will get free 6-month access to the Sony Music app, which includes unlimited music streaming and a database that features over 15 lakh songs, along with the Sony LIV video streaming app. The black and white color options of the Sony Xperia SP will be available in major retail stores from mid-April. Check out the press release below to find out more, and you can also take a look at the official video of the Xperia SP here –
What are your thoughts? Will you be picking up the Sony Xperia SP? What do you think of the pricing strategy employed by Sony? Let us know in the comments section below.
Sony Xperia SP, latest entrant in the best of Sony portfolio
- The latest Xperia smartphone comes packed with unique Sony features and precision crafted co-moulded aluminium frame
- Xperia SP offers a high quality HD experience with Super-bright 4.6” 720p HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
- One-touch functions with NFC to display content on your TV or to share music and photos between devices
- 8MP fast-capture camera with “Exmor RS for mobile”, HDR and Superior Auto for the best photos, even at night or against a strong backlight
- Battery STAMINA Mode for optimum battery life
New Delhi, 10th April, 2013: Sony Xperia SP joins its existing members to deliver exceptional viewing experience, with a razor sharp HD screen housed in a beautiful design.
The latest smartphone from Sony offers the best of Sony with stunning premium design and a range of technologies including a high quality screen for the ultimate viewing experience; the latest camera features for impressive pictures and videos; NFC connectivity for One-touch function; Battery STAMINA Mode for extended battery life; and Sony’s signature media apps for enjoying photos, music, movies and games on the go.
Xperia SP – High Definition brilliance in a premium design
The Xperia SP utilizes expertise from Sony’s BRAVIA® TV engineers to create its stunning 4.6” HD Reality Display for razor sharp pictures and superior brightness. The latest Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2 delivers an even better viewing experience by analyzing your content type and adjusting the image automatically, making it one of the most intelligent smartphone screens around. The engine will make the adjustment by adding new real-time contrast optimization to the sharpness enhancement, high-quality colour management and noise reduction.
As well as delivering brilliant experiences, the Xperia SP looks beautiful too with a precision-crafted co-moulded aluminium frame, for a seamless look that is both sleek and solid. Adding to the unique design innovation is the colour-changing ‘transparent element’ with customized illuminations which you can personalise to alert you of incoming calls and text messages. And you can even set the illuminations to pulse to the beat of your favourite music.
- Sony Music: Sony is all set to give its consumers an unparalleled & faster entertainment experience by offering 6 months free Unlimited streaming & music download of over 15 lakh songs such as International, Bollywood & Regional songs from Sony Music library
- Sony LIV: Sony will also have a unique video streaming app called Sony Liv. With this app, consumers can enjoy catch-up TV of SAB, Sony Entertainment and Max. Not only this, Xperia users will have exclusive access to special moments of KBC & Indian Idol. They can even watch over 77 programs and over 4500 hours of videos of their favorite programs
One-touch functions for easy content sharing
Also featured on Xperia SP is Sony’s One-touch functions, allowing you to easily and instantly enjoy music and photos across an array of devices, such as Sony’s SRS-BTV5 speaker and latest range of NFC-enabled BRAVIA TVs, with just a single touch. It’s sharing made easy with no wires, cables, or fiddling with settings necessary.
The newly launched Xperia SP will be available in all Sony Centers and leading mobile stores across India.
Also, with a purchase of Xperia SP customers will get a free premium case worth Rs. 1,990.
Model: Xperia SP
MRP: Rs. 27,490
Availability: Mid April’13
Colours: Black and White