Right on cue, Sony has announced on its blog that they will start pushing the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade to Xperia P owners starting today. A global rollout of the ICS update can be expected over the next few weeks, so it pays to be patient.
The update will have several things to look forward to, which includes:
- New ways to experience your media with new media applications – “WALKMAN,” “Album” and “Movies”
- Extended standby mode, increasing standby time by up to four times (depending on user-profile and data consumption)
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets for improved personalization
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for a clear overview of your applications
Next on the upgrade list to receive Ice Cream Sandwich are the Xperia U, Xperia Sola, and Xperia Go. The Xperia U has received the promised network problem fix in early August, so we’re sure owners of the phone will be more than ecstatic if ICS is indeed coming later this month.
If you don’t see the update notification yet on your Xperia P after a while, Sony mentions that you may have to connect your phone to the PC, run the companion software, and check for the update there. Don’t forget to leave a shout or two below if you’ve received the ICS update on your Xeria P.