The Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for the HTC Sensation XL is finally rolling out for users in Europe, but users from all over the world can’t wait to get their hands on it. We certainly can’t blame them because the update brings the highly anticipated Android 4.0 features along with better device performance, an improved notification bar, enhanced data usage monitoring, and even more features that’ll get anyone’s fingers twitching.
The guys at XDA Developers have made the update available through manual flashing. XDA member pvp26 has posted the update and claudenegm has developed an application where you can easily flash any recovery to your phone. Your phone needs stock recovery before you should flash the firmware update.
If you want to install this update on your HTC Sensation XL, see the requirements and instructions below.
- HTC Sensation XL with S-OFF
- A Windows PC (preferably with Windows 7)
- WinRAR or a similar program capable of unarchiving RAR files
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone Settings > Applications > Development options.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Sensation XL. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Install the HTC Fastboot drivers to your computer.
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 to your computer.
- Extract the Android Recovery Manager RAR file to any folder on your computer. We recommend extracting it to your Desktop where you can easily find it.
- Rename OTA_RUNNYMEDE_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_
2.31.401.2-1.05.401.4_R2_release_258338d2wzjl71eps0s2e6.zip to update.zip.
- Copy update.zip to the root of your Sensation XL’s SD card.
- On your computer, go to the folder where you extracted the Android Recovery Manager file and run RecoveryManager.exe by double-clicking it.
- In Android Recovery Manager, follow the instructions below to install stock recovery on your HTC Sensation XL.
- Click Start.
- Click Download Recovery.
- On the right side of the Android Recovery Manager window, select the option that matches the software version of your phone.
- For instance, if your phone’s software is 184.108.40.206, choose the Vodafone FR 220.127.116.11 option.
- To check your phone’s software version, go to Settings > About > Software Information.
- Check the “I agree…” box and click the Download selected Recovery and Flash It button to start downloading the recovery.
- Once the recovery has been downloaded, click Yes to flash the recovery.
- Once the flashing is complete, select No to reboot into recovery.
- Boot your phone to recovery. After the phone reboots, you will see a warning icon on the screen; here, press the Power button and the Volume Up key simultaneously.
- In recovery, select Apply Update from SD Card.
- Look for the update.zip file. Select the file using the Power button to start the installation.
- After the update has been installed, your phone will automatically reboot and you’ll now have Android 4.0 on your phone.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully updated your HTC Sensation XL to official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Enjoy!
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.