Upgrade HTC Sensation to HTC One S’s ICS and HTC Sense 4.0 via OrDroid ROM
After the HTC One series of phones was announced at this year’s Mobile World Congress, numerous firmware leaks began to surface based on those different HTC devices. HTC’s Sense 4.0 UI looks promising on the HTC One phones and with the firmware leaks already scattered all throughout the Internet, many HTC fans are rejoicing as those leaks are now being ported to older HTC models.
One such lucky HTC device to receive a direct port of the firmware leak is the HTC Sensation. Developed by XDA Developers member shnizlon, the OrDroid custom ROM is an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM based on the latest leaked RUU firmware (version 1.53.401.2) for the HTC One S.
According to the developer’s notes, the ported firmware is deodexed, zipaligned, and pre-rooted. The ROM also includes SuperSU and BusyBox, as well as options to install AOSP apps and to remove HTC apps.
Unfortunately, Bluetooth still is non-functional, among other bugs and issues.
If you can’t wait to get your hands on the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich for your HTC Sensation then the ORDroid ROM will definitely satisfy your cravings. Combining elements of Ice Cream Sandwich and the eye-candy of the Sense 4.0 UI, the OrDroid ROM is jampacked filled with all the latest features.
This guide is intended only for the HTC Sensation. It is not compatible with any other HTC Sensation variants. Use this guide at your own risk and do not hold us liable for any damage that happens to you or your phone.
- HTC Sensation, rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help with rooting, see our guide on how to root the HTC Sensation.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal data and files.
- Download the latest full package (version 1.7.1) of the OrDroid ROM from here (OrDroid_V1.7.1.zip, md5sum: 29038dfd96c0cf4c2f86142453942053) and save it to your PC.
- Download the incremental update package (to upgrade to version 1.7.2) from here (OrDroid_V1.7.2_Incremental.zip, md5sum: 242db2d7ec2cf9c90a50437709f1324f) and save the file to your computer.
- Connect your HTC Sensation to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ZIP files to the root your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Boot the phone into recovery mode. You can do this by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons. On the succeeding HBOOT screen, select the “Recovery” option. When you reach the screen with the red exclamation mark, press the Volume Up and Power buttons at the same time.
- Once inside recovery mode, create a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM so that you can always have a restore point if something should happen when installing or trying out this ROM. You can perform a backup in recovery by selecting “Backup and Restore” then selecting “Backup”.
- Perform a full wipe on your device:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then select “Wipe Data/Factory reset” on the screen that follows.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition”, then confirm the wipe cache partition on the screen that follows.
- Select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalivk Cache”, then confirm the Dalvik cache wipe on the screen that follows.
- After the cleaning process is through, return to the main recovery menu.
- Select “Install zip from SD card.” Select “Choose zip from SD card”. Browse for the full ROM package that you copied to the phone. Select the file and confirm the installation by selecting “Yes – Install OrDroid_V1.7.1.zip”. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Flash OrDroid_V1.7.2_Incremental.zip in the same manner as in step 10.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back”, then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device.
- After the phone reboots, you need to disable all animations. You can do this by heading to “Settings > Display” and turn off all animations.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0 on your HTC Sensation via the OrDroid custom ROM.