The market for affordable entry-level phones with dual-SIM capabilities might not seem too promising in the US, but in Europe and Asia, there is quite the competition over the niche. And where there’s competition, Samsung absolutely has to play an important part in it.
The Galaxy Ace Duos is Sammy’s latest dual SIM low-ender, but, surprisingly, it hasn’t kicked it off to the best of starts. Unveiled back in May, the cheapo 3.5-incher has only been made available in India until now.
Starting today, however, the Ace Duos has managed to break outside of India, making in into the UK. Mobi-City and Amazon are the two British retailers offering the petite phone for sale for the time being, with the first one having the best deal for you right now.
£199.95 is what Mobi-City is charging for the black Ace Duos, which the retailer also brags to be able to ship to you in no more than five days. The price tag is for the unlocked, SIM-free version of the phone with 12-month warranty, and would translate into around $310 based on today’s exchange rates.
Amazon has the same metallic-black “unbranded” Galaxy Ace Duos up for grabs for £214.99, which means roughly $335. If you want to go for something more playful and youthful, the same retailer has the “chic-white” Ace available for sale, going for £208.12 (around $324). This particular model seems to have sold better than its sibling already, as Amazon UK is saying it has only 10 more devices left in stock.
Here’s the phone’s full spec sheet of the Galaxy Ace Duos to help you make your decision:
- 3.5-inch TFT capacitive touchscreen with 320 x 480 pixels resolution and 165 ppi pixel density
- Single-core 832 MHz Qualcomm MSM 7627 Turbo
- 512 MB of RAM
- 3 GB of on-board storage
- MicroSD card slot for expanding the memory to up to 32 GB
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread with TouchWiz UI, no planned upgrade to ICS
- 5 MP rear-facing camera with autofocus, geo-tagging and smile detection
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 3G and Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity
- 1,300 mAh standard Li-Ion battery capable of running for up to 7 hours of 3G talk time
- Dual SIM with dual stand-by
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Accelerometer, proximity and compass sensors
- 122 grams weight
- 112.7 x 61.5 x 11.5 mm dimensions
All in all, I think that the Galaxy Ace Duos doesn’t look too shabby for its price, being decently fashionable and light, but also coming with pretty much all the features you might need, including a so-so camera and a not that horrible screen. Sure, the processing speed, software and internal memory are far from decent, but what would you expect?
Anyone thinking of getting an Ace Duo in GB? And if so, are you going to choose the black or white model?