Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and Music Player 4.2 on sale May 13
After the successful launch of the eagerly anticipated Samsung Galaxy S3, it’s almost easy to forget that Samsung, the maker of a whole series of tablets and music players, is one of the largest device (among other electronics) manufacturers in the world.
The Korean company announced today that the 10.1″ Galaxy Tab 2 and the Galaxy Player 4.2 will go on sale on Sunday, May 13 in the US.
Galaxy Tab 2
The Galaxy Tab 2 is dubbed the successor of the original 10.1″ Galaxy Tab slate, but with the impeding arrival of the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, the Tab series is seemingly being relegated to the low-to-mid range of the specifications and price spectrum. The specifications of this tablet include:
- 1Ghz dual-core TI OMAP 4430 processor
- 1280×800 resolution
- 3MP rear camera, VGA front camera
- 16GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- Android 4.0 OS
While the specifications aren’t as impressive, the $400 price more than makes up for it. The device will be available for sale at retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, and Office Depot.
Galaxy Player 4.2
The Galaxy Player series has been dubbed an iPod Touch competitor. The latest release, Galaxy Player 4.2, features specifications that include:
- Android 2.3 OS
- 800×480 resolution
- 4.2″ LCD screen
- 1Ghz single-core processor
- 2MP rear camera, VGA front camera
- 8GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
Another impressive feature of this device is its ability to work as a bluetooth handset, i.e. you can connect a phone to this device via bluetooth and then use the music player as a phone with voice-calling capabilities. Unfortunately, it does come with the Gingerbread OS, and there is no immediate plan for an upgrade to Android 4.0.
This Galaxy Player 4.2 also goes on sale tomorrow, May 13, and will be available for $199.99.
The above releases follow the already available Galaxy Tab 2 7.7″ slate and the Galaxy Player 3.6, and Samsung is certainly going full-steam ahead in its plan to achieve worldwide Android dominance.
What are your thoughts? Are the attractive price points for these devices low enough for you? Let us know in the comments section below.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2™ 10.1 and 4.2 Galaxy Player™ to be available for purchase nationwide this weekend
Samsung Electronics America Inc., today announces that its newest additions to the Galaxy Family, Galaxy Tab 2™ 10.1 and Galaxy Player™ 4.2, will be available for purchase nationwide beginning Sunday, May 13.
The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will be available for $399.99 SRP, and the Player 4.2 will sell for $199.99 SRP. These complement the already available Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Galaxy Player 3.6.
Retailers carrying the devices include Amazon, Best Buy, hhgregg, Tiger Direct, WalMart, Office Depot and others. (Not all models available from all retailers).
For additional retail outlet availability, visit http://www.samsung.com
Key highlights include
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Control, Watch and Share Your TV Content
· The perfect TV companion, use your Tab as a universal remote, multitask on the web while watching and wirelessly stream the live feed from your TV to your Tab.
Your Movies, Videos and Games Will Come Alive
· Everything’s more exciting on a bigger screen. Browse the web, explore over 450,000 apps from Google Play and Samsung Apps, and access thousands of TV shows and movies via WiFi.
Built to Power Your Entertainment
· A big 10.1” entertainment machine The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is powered by Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, a dual-core processor with a microSD™ card slot and more.
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2
Listen to your favorite music on the go
· Get instant access to your music with WiFi; as simple as drag and play.
Personalize your player. So many options to make it your own
· Discover a large collection of apps to customize your player.
One single device for all your entertainment needs
· The Galaxy Player 4.2 includes premium EA games. Experience seamless multimedia playback and much more!