Samsung Galaxy S4 availability roundup – UK, US, and Canada
During the official announcement of the Samsung Galaxy S4, JK Shin mentioned that the flagship device will be available from 327 network carriers in 155 countries, with a vague, “late April,” release date. As the picture has become clearer over the past few weeks, here is a roundup about the availability and pricing information of the highly-anticipated Samsung Galaxy S4.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 in the UK will be available on or around April 26 from major network carriers with one or two year contracts, as well as from retail stores off-contract. As far the as the pre-order availability goes, only the 16GB version can be found, with both Black and White color options listed. The UK version of the Galaxy S4 will likely feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor with 4G LTE integration, even though not all networks offer 4G LTE at the moment. Here’s a quick look –
- Everything Everywhere – All plans from EE include unlimited calls and texts, with the only difference being the data available (which will be mentioned in brackets). For two-year 4G LTE contracts, the price ranges from £19.99 with a monthly contract of £76 (20 GB), and goes up to £269.99 with a contract of £31 per month (500 MB). You can find the full range of options, including 1-year contracts and 2-year contracts with roaming, from the company website here. Pre-ordering the Samsung Galaxy S4 now will also get you an accessory pack worth £54.99. While we expect an April 26 release, the website still mentions allowing for up to 28 days for delivery.
- Vodafone – Vodafone offers the handset for free with their most of their 24-month contract plans, with only the £37 per month plan requiring a £69 one-time payment. Vodafone also offers a great trade-in program, with which you can get the Galaxy S4 for free with the £37 plan as well. You can find out more about these plans, as well as other 12-month options on the company website here. Pre-order delivery will start from April 26.
- Three – Three will offer the Samsung Galaxy S4 for free with two plans, the £35 Ultimate Internet 500 Plan (unlimited data, 500 minutes, 5,000 texts), and the £37 One Plan (unlimited data, 2,000 minutes, 5,000 three-to-three minutes, 5,000 texts). You can find out more here. Estimated delivery date mentioned on the site is, again, April 26.
- O2 – O2 will price the phone at £0 to £399.99 with new two-year contracts, with the cheapest contract being £22 per month, and the most expensive going up to £52. All contracts offer unlimited talk and text, with data allowance varying from 750 MB to 4 GB. You can find out more, and pre-order the Galaxy S4 from O2 here. As the site mentions, as long you pre-order the phone before 4PM on April 25, you will get it on April 26.
- Off-Contract availability – The Samsung Galaxy S4 is available from the Carphone Warehouse for £589.95, and for £579.99 from Clove UK, and for just £529.98 from Unlockedmobiles.com. The expected availability and shipping is from April 26.
While the availability information for the UK is clear, things are still a little up in the air as far as the US is concerned. Only T-Mobile and AT&T have confirmed the pricing scheme for the Samsung Galaxy S4, but other network carriers like Sprint and and Verizon should maintain a similar price point as AT&T. As expected, the US version of the device will be powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor.
- AT&T – The Samsung Galaxy S4 from AT&T will be up for pre-order for April 16, with the 16GB version priced at $199.99 with a 2-year contract, reduced from the $249.99 price announced earlier. The 32GB version will be priced $249.99, but we don’t know whether it will be available for pre-order or not.
- T-Mobile – Under T-Mobile’s newly-unveiled “Simple Choice” plans, the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be available with a $99 down payment, followed by $20 per month for 24 months. The device is expected to be available to T-Mobile subscribers from “around” May 1, and we don’t know yet if it will be up for pre-order before that.
- U.S. Cellular – U.S. Cellular has mentioned on its website that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be available for pre-order from April 16. No information on pricing on release date is listed, but you can register on the page to stay up to date.
- No information on the Samsung Galaxy S4 availability from Sprint or Verizon is available, although both have been spotted at the FCC recently. Considering the dates announced by T-Mobile and AT&T, we can expect a similar timeline from Sprint and Verizon as well. An official announcement is expected in a few days.
Unfortunately, not much is set in stone as far as the Canadian launch of the Samsung Galaxy S4 is concerned. We do know the the device will be available from almost all network carriers in the country including Rogers, Bell, EastLink, Fido, Telus, Virgin Mobile, Mobilicity, Wind Mobile, Koodoo, SaskTel, and Videotron.
We also know that the “Samsung Galaxy S4 Road Show” will begin on April 8, and will continue till April 26, to showcase the device to employees, which indicates a possible launch after that date. Rumors have been all over the place, suggesting an April 19 release, with most reports agreeing on a mid-May availability.
As far the pricing is concerned, we’ll be looking at a price range of $199 to $299, with a 2 or 3-year contract.
Don’t forget to check out our hands-on and first look video of the Samsung Galaxy S4 below –
As you can see, apart from the UK, there is still a lot more we have to find out about the availability and pricing of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Stay tuned as we will be continuously updating this page as we find out more.
Are you excited about getting your hands on the Samsung Galaxy S4?