Nowadays, it seems that there are two standard news we can expect from tech sites, over any given day. One, a new Android 4.0 running tablet is rumored/announced/launched/shipped, and two, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is “leaked”.
Although we received official confirmation from a Samsung official in China about the Galaxy S3 being released as soon as April (or in May, in the worst case), the Koreans have been very secretive about the actual specifications of their future flagship phone. This has given rise to endless rumors and “leaked photos” of phones and designs claimed to be the vaunted S3.
If you aren’t tired of the whole craziness yet or if you love playing detective with tech rumors, here’s another juicy one for you.
Phone Arena claims to have received leaked photos of the supposed Samsung GT-i9300 and is claiming that the device is the “real deal”. Of course, these are most likely real images of an upcoming phone from the Galaxy line-up (unlike the renders we’ve seen before). But it’s still not clear if the GT-i9300 is the codename of the Galaxy S3 or of another device.
There are a few key points to note from the images (if they are real), which suggest that what we are seeing is an unreleased phone.
- The OS shown on the screen is definitely Android 4.0 with TouchWiz applied
- The device features the ICS recommended three capacitive button strip and no physical buttons. (All other non-ICS Android phones released so far had, in most cases, at least one physical button)
- The screen certainly seems large enough to fit the rumored 4.7-inch size of the Galaxy S3
- The Samsung logo has been moved below the screen. So far, only the US models have featured this, with the carrier logo going on top.
- The phone seems to feature a prominent bezel, which contradicts the general consensus so far
Not being an expert at Photoshop or a photographer, my amateur eye says that these images are real. This is most likely an upcoming Android 4.0 model from Samsung, maybe the mid-range counterpart to the Galaxy S3 (similar to the three-pronged HTC One series), but is probably NOT the Galaxy S3. Other rumors (yes, more of them, I know) suggest that this might be the Galaxy S2 Advance. This could also be a Samsung developer phone used for testing purposes.
The Galaxy S3 is a phone I’ve been looking forward to since the rumors first started circulating and is the only thing making me hesitate from buying the HTC One X as soon as it is released. A part of me would be very disappointed if this actually IS the Galaxy S3. So here’s to hoping that this latest addition to the rampant rumors swirling around Samsung’s next flagship phone is not the “real deal”.
One more thing. Will the REAL Galaxy S3 please stand up?
What are your thoughts? Is this what you’ve been looking for? Are we any closer or moving further away from the truth? Are we going to have to beg Samsung to up and make an official spec sheet announcement already?