Samsung Galaxy S3 Hard Case Review Roundup #1 [video]
Scratches, dents, and in extreme cases, cracked screens, on a handheld device is never a good thing, regardless of how expensive the device is. But, when you shell out over $700 for the latest high-end smartphone, you’ll do anything to make sure it stays in pristine condition. Unfortunately, accidents do occur, sometimes more often than you’d like. It’s because of this scenario that protective cases and covers came into the picture.
Following a report that mentioned a device insurer might not have replacement devices for the Samsung Galaxy S3, there is even more reason to take extra care of Samsung’s latest flagship device. Today, we do a review roundup of some hard cases for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Making the shortlist is the Vipose Vogue Case, CaseCrown Flip Case, SPIGEN SGP Crumena Leather Pouch, Luxmo Horizontal Leather Cover, and Arkon XXL Sports Armband. All the cases are available from Amazon, and you can find the purchase links in the case descriptions below. Let’s take a look.
Vipose Vogue Case
This Vipose Vogue Case is specifically for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Features of this case include:
- High quality material. Very smooth and comfortable to hold.
- Light weight, anti-scratch, fingerprint-proof, heat-resistant.
- Precise cut-outs for the headphone jack, camera, LED flash, speaker, power button, and volume rocker.
- Hard backing and metal accents for a nice visual effect.
- Available in different colors including rose, white, grey, and black. (the video review features the black case)
As you will see in the video, the phone fits perfectly into the case. Unfortunately, there is no protection for the top and bottom of the phone. There’s a little raised protection for the screen, but that might not be enough to protect the phone completely from a face down fall. Overall, it’s a very classy-looking and stylish case which you should definitely consider to protect your Galaxy S3.
CaseCrown Flip Case
The CaseCrown Flip Case for the Samsung Galaxy S3 is another stylish and elegant leather case. Features of this protective case include:
- Easy to install. Corner clasps hold the phone securely in place.
- Durable exterior and soft suede-like material for a scratch-free interior.
- Front flip cover protects the screen from damage.
- Light-weight and compact.
- Cut-outs for the camera, LED flash, speaker, and headphone hack.
This leather case includes a front flip cover for complete device protection. There is no protection on the sides, which highlights the chrome accents of the Galaxy S3. A minor issue is the fact that the flip cover doesn’t bend all the way back, so the cover will be left hanging when you’re using the device. Overall, this is a beautifully designed case and if flip cases are your thing, the CaseCrown Flip case should definitely be in your consideration.
Spigen SGP Crumena Leather Pouch
The Spigen SGP Crumena Leather Pouch for the Samsung Galaxy S3 is genuine leather case that will protect the device from damage, dirt, and dust. Features of this case include:
- Premium genuine leather.
- Inside is made of a soft material that prevents scratches.
- A small tab at the back makes removing the device easier.
- Cut-out for the speaker for clear and audible sound.
- An embedded magnet keeps the phone firmly in place when not in use.
- Available in three colors including black, white, and brown.
The Spigen SGP Crumena is a pouch, so you will have to take the phone out of the cover everytime you want to use it. There is only a cut-out for the speaker so you can hear the phone ring, but you cannot access the power button, volume rocker, or charging port. If you’re looking for a genuine leather case, the Spigen SGP Crumena for the Galaxy S3 is the one for you.
Luxmo Horizontal Leather cover
The Luxmo Horizontal leather cover is a high quality leather carrying pouch for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Features of this cover include:
- Magnetic closing flap keeps the phone safely inside.
- Fixed belt clip allows you to carry your phone horizontally.
- Dual-tone leather.
The Luxmo Horizontal Leather Cover is also a carrying pouch, so you’ll have to take the phone out of the case to use it. Even though this case is made specifically for the Galaxy S3, the device does seem to rock around a little bit inside the case, but not enough to be a problem. This carrying case is a good option for anyone looking for a classy leather case with holster and belt clip functionality.
Arkon XXL Sports Armband
The Arkon XXL Sports Armband isn’t specific to the Samsung Galaxy S3 but is compatible with any device with an extra large screen, such as the HTC One X, Droid Razr, and EVO 4G. Features of this case include:
- Compatible with all large screen smartphones.
- Adjustable armband for a comfortable fit.
- Reflective markers for night-time activity.
- Access to touchscreen and headphone jack while in the armband.
- Made with sweat-proof and stretchable neoprene material.
Even though the Akron XXL Sports Armband is a generic armband, the Galaxy S3 fits perfectly, and the case provides complete protection. A minor gripe is the fact that the front plastic cover may stick to the screen, making it a little difficult to get the phone out of the case. This case is ideally suited for workouts, although you could use it otherwise as well.
You can check out Clayton’s video review roundup of some hard cases for the Samsung Galaxy S3 here:
As you can see, there are multiple options available to protect your Samsung Galaxy S3. You can choose between a hard plastic case, a flip leather case, two leather pouches, and the exercise-friendly armband, all depending on your individual requirements and preference. If you’re looking for a more form-fitting and flexible case, you should check out our Samsung Galaxy S3 soft case review roundup.
What are your thoughts? Which hard case for the Galaxy S3 do you think is suited for you? If you use any of these cases, let us know your experience in the comments section below.