Those of us who don’t own the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate – on AT&T – have probably forgotten that Samsung has not yet released an official update to Gingerbread, until today that is. Now I can finally pick up my Captivate off my desk and update it to Android 2.3 using Samsung Kies.
Listed below are some of the benefits of the upgrade:
- Download management
- New layout for larger fonts
- Word prediction, multi-touch for numerical input
- One-touch word selection and copy/paste
- Fixed Top-menu in Gmail
- Voice Search added into the search categories
- Vertical play mode added to YouTube
- 3D graphic driver updates
- Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
- Concurrent Garbage Collector technology embedded to reduce lags in games
- Being able to show your face in public
Hit the source link for directions from Samsung on how to update to Android 2.3 using Kies. Yes we know, the Kies system really sucks! But unfortunately that’s how it’s done with the Samsung Galaxy S phones. Did you get your update? Let us know in the comments how it works out, and how long it took to update your Samsung Captivate.