Faster is definitely better, and with the HTC Rezound getting some clockspeed boost, it could totally blow your mind away.
XDA Developers member SebastianFM was able to juice up and boost the 1.5 GHz dual-core processor of the HTC Rezound, bringing the phone’s clock upwards to 1.728 GHz. The developer was able to perform some hex editing magic on the stock HTC kernel on the Rezound and succeeded not just in increasing the CPU’s frequency but also the L2 cache up to 1.566 GHz. This truly is a speed boost.
What’s more is that the overclocked kernel is compatible with any ROM that is based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
So if you want to give your device the boost, read and follow through our step-by-step guide on how to install the overclocked kernel on your HTC Rezound.
- You will be needing a rooted HTC Rezound with bootloader unlocked and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Check out our rooting guide for your phone here and unlock the bootloader with the help of this guide.
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich based ROM installed on your device. Click here to try out this ICS ROM on your device.
- A fully charged battery on your device.
- Backup before flashing the kernel.
- Charge your phone battery to at least 70% (full charge recommended).
- You will need a computer running Windows to be able to use the batch scripts.
- Download the following files:
- This step-by-step guide is only applicable to the HTC Rezound. Flashing the kernel to another device may cause damage.
- Install the kernel at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage dealt by the use of this guide.
- Get the overclocked kernel package from the link provided above.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to the root of your phone’s external microSD card.
- Turn off your device.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode.
- From the recovery menu, select “Install zip from sd card.”
- Select “Choose zip from sd card” and choose the ZIP file containing the overclocked kernel. Confirm to begin flashing the kernel.
- On your computer, download the automatic kernel installer from the link provided in the Requirements section.
- Extract the contents of the auto kernel installer package into a folder on your computer. Inside the extraction folder is another folder called “kernel.”
- Extract the contents of the overclocked kernel package into a folder on your computer. Inside the extraction folder, you will find a folder named “kernel.” Inside this folder is a file called “zImage.” Copy this file into the “kernel” folder inside the extraction folder for the auto kernel installer.
- From inside the auto kernel installer folder, you will find a script file named “buildFlashable.bat”. Run this script by double-clicking on it. This will open a DOS prompt on your computer. The script will also create a flashable ZIP package named “flashthisimage.zip”.
- Copy “flashthisimage.zip” to the root of your phone’s external microSD card. If there is a PH98IMG.zip file on your microSD card, delete it first before proceeding.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into recovery mode.
- Select “Install zip from sd card” from the recovery menu.
- Select “Choose zip from sd card” and select “flashthisimage.zip.” This will automatically create a PH98IMG.zip and will reboot the phone into HBOOT.
- Once in HBOOT, select Bootloader by tapping the Power button.
- Flash the new boot.img by selecting “Yes.”
Well done! You have successfully overclocked your HTC Rezound’s 1.5 GHz dual-core processor to 1.728 GHz. Notice any speed boosts after installing the overclocked kernel?