Users and developers rejoiced when the Motorola RAZR HD XT925′s bootloader was officially unlocked. This means that users who have started to get dissatisfied with their phone's out-of-the-box performance can optimize it with a variety of customizations available in the XDA Developers forums. But, before you can flash any of these customizations, you'll need a custom recovery like TWRP Recovery.
XDA Developers member madmoney57 was kind enough to provide RAZR HD users instructions on how to flash the custom recovery to their devices. TWRP, short for Team Win Recovery Project, is a custom recovery that will allow users to flash custom kernels, ROMs, themes, and mods with ease. It also allows users to create NANDroid backups and to wipe data before they install customizations. TWRP Recovery also lets you take a break from mashing your hardware buttons and lets you navigate using your touch screen. It's also fully XML-driven and it's theme-able, allowing you to customize the look and feel of the custom recovery to your liking.
This guide shows you how to flash TWRP Recovery for the RAZR HD XT925.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola RAZR HD, model number XT925. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Motorola RAZR HD XT925 with an unlocked bootloader
- Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Android SDK should be installed on your PC.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract Fastboots.zip to your computer. You will get a folder named “Fastboots.”
- Copy twrp-hdrecovery.img to the Fastboots folder.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into the Boot Mode Selection Menu by pressing the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Highlight Fastboot using the Volume buttons and press the Power Button to select it.
- Connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable and wait for Windows to complete driver installation.
- On your computer, open a command prompt and navigate it to the Fastboots folder.
- Type the following commands:
- If your device has been properly detected, you should receive a string of numbers and letters in response.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-hdrecovery.img
- To enter TWRP Recovery, boot into the Boot Mode Selection Menu and choose Recovery from the selection.
Congratulations! You now have TWRP Recovery installed on your Motorola RAZR HD XT925. What customizations are you planning to flash first? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.