Move over, Gingerbread. Ice Cream Sandwich is here for the Motorola Razr. Amidst anxious waiting for the official arrival of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on many Android devices, the Motorola Razr XT910 is one of those for whom an official update has not yet arrived.
But, thanks to a leaked copy of official ICS firmware, you can now upgrade your Motorola Razr to Ice Cream Sandwich. The said leaked firmware reportedly comes with Linux kernel version 3.0.8, so it is expected to bring a lot of performance improvements to your phone.
Check out the rest of this guide for instructions on how to upgrade your Motorola Razr to this leaked official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich update.
Requirements and Warnings
- Motorola Razr GSM/UMTS (model XT910) EU variant. The procedure is intended for this handset and may not work on other models/variants like the Motorola Droid Razr on Verizon.
- Phone's software version must be 651.167.20 Retail en.EU. The procedure in this guide may or may not work with another software version.
- Charge your phone's battery to 100% before attempting the procedure.
- Back up your phone data.
- If your phone is already rooted, create a SU backup using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (downloadable from the Android Market).
- There is no known method yet to fall back or downgrade back to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. So, upgrade your phone only if you are sure that you really want to.
- Use the information here at your own risk. Hold no one responsible if you damage your phone by using this guide.
- Download the Ice Cream Sandwich update package for the Motorola Razr XT910 from here. Save the file to your computer.
- Rename the ZIP file to update.zip.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy update.zip to the root of your phone's external SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Motorola Recovery, as follows:
- Hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.
- Turn on the phone.
- Use the Volume Down key to highlight “recovery”.
- Press the Volume Up key to select.
- Press both Volume Up and Volume Down buttons when the Android logo and warning triangle appear.
- Your phone ought to automatically detect the update file and ask you if you want to update your phone using the file. Confirm that you want to do so.
- Reboot the phone once firmware update is completed.
- Set up your Google credentials.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable Force GPU Rendering.
- Proceed with the remaining steps if you've made a SU backup using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. Otherwise, the update procedure ends here.
- Download and install Android Terminal Emulator to your phone.
- Launch the Android Terminal Emulator app on your phone.
- Execute the following commands from the terminal:
- mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
- rm /system/bin/su
- ln -s /system/su-backup /system/bin/su
Congratulations! You've successfully upgraded your Motorola Razr XT910 to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.