Paranoid Android’s HALO project is now open source
Intrigued by HALO but not exactly interested in moving over to the Paranoid Android ROM to try it? We have good news for you. Taking to Google+, the folks behind Halo and the Paranoid ROM have announced that they are going open source with the HALO project. This means that Android developers can now poke through the HALO code and incorporate it into their own builds.
That said, the Paranoid Android team reminds us that HALO is still in beta and that support for PIE and TabletUI remain unfinished. Still, they seem to think it is “ready enough for release”.
If you are reading this and wondering what HALO is, essentially the HALO code allows for floating notifications that closely resemble Facebook Home’s “Chat Heads”. The big difference here is that HALO takes the concept further and allows it to work with just about every app you have, instead of just Facebook Messenger.
While the biggest announcement from the folks behind PA was that HALO was going open source, they also took the time to reveal to PA users that the code is being merged into their main branch.
Here’s a list of changes found in the build:
- HALO has white & blacklists now. Blacklists prevent apps from pinging through HALO. Whitelists do the same but only allow pinging when you explicitly allow it for individual apps.
- Everything is silenced
- Dismissal of notifications has been improved
- PA Wallpapers has been taken out of the rom and can be downloaded for free on Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paranoid.wallpapers
- DCHSPA symbol when the DCHSPA network is being used.
- Dirk Rettschlag’s Quick unlock
- PIE option for empty angle (the start gap)
- Brightness dialog updates
- StatusBar Date/Time layout changes
- Option to use volume keys to control media volume anytime
- Launcher does not need to be started when you go in and out of full screen (no more black flicker)
- GooManager removed, will soon be replaced with custom solution
To check out more details about HALO going open source, head over to PA’s G+ page. What do you think of Paranoid Android and the HALO feature? Excited to hear it might make its way to other ROMs, or not?