Pandigital Launches 230-dollar Android Tablet-Style eReader
Pandigital recently added a new device–the Pandigital Supernova–to its Media Tablets family. Although its not the most incredible new tablet to hit the market, it’s listed with a sweet little price tag of only US$230.
Don’t forget, though, that you get what you pay for, and this product is a great example of that theory. Pandigital has decided to load a modified version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread onto the tablet along with a mere 4 GB of internal storage. However, the device is being marketed as an “eReader” and therefore this product is right in that wheelhouse. In addition, it will offer tablet and eReader functionality. Keep reading for the full list of specifications straight from Pandigital.
- Display: 8 inches (capacitive touchscreen with multi-touch Digital TFT LCD)
- Resolution: 600 x 800 pixels
- Operating system: Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Processor: Samsung S5PV210 Cortex 1.0 GHz processor with dedicated GPU
- Internal memory: 4 GB shared Storage
- RAM: 512 MB DRAM
- Expandable Memory: microSD card reader up to 32 GB
- Camera(s): Front and back cameras included
- Audio: Microphone and speakers included; stereo mini headphones included
- Supported media: PDF, EPUB, MP3, AAC, WAV, JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, MPEG4, Flash, DOC, DOCX, TXT, XLS, XLSX, CSU, PPT, PPTX
- Preloaded apps: Barnes & Noble eBookStore, GetJar App Store, YouTube Video Player, Photo Gallery Viewer, Calendar, OfficeSuite, Weather Application, Email Browser, Web Browser, Advanced eReader, Flash Support
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, Micro HDMI, Mini USB 2.0/OTG
- Battery: Li-ion (built-in)
- Accessories: AC adapter, USB cable, User Guide and Quick Start Guide
- Dimensions: 6.13 in x 8.38 in x 0.44 in
- Weight: 16.6 oz
Although this tablet might be cool for those of you looking for a cheap tablet option that packs full eReader functionality, we suggest you re-think before buying this. With the Amazon Kindle’s price starting at US$79 and the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet priced at only US$199, the market has way much more to offer.
If you’re more of the Android fellow, Archos might have something tastier in their Archos 80 G9 tablet infused with Honeycomb. In any matter, Pandigital is looking for a piece of the tablet and eReader market and frankly, their competition has them beat.