Opera announced yesterday the arrival of the first “point” update to its world renowned mobile browser, Opera Mobile 11. The latest version, Opera Mobile 11.1, is now available for download from the Android Market.
According to Opera, the update contains changes and new stuff that the development team gathered from user feedback. New features have been incorporated to “make browsing on an Android…easier than ever before.” The chief feature highlights of the update are support for Google AutoComplete, domain auto-suggest, and improvements to text selection.
Under the hood, Opera has upped Opera Mobile’s rendering engine to Opera Presto 2.8.149. The upgrade is supposed to improve page loading performance and better compliance with standards. Opera Mobile 11.1’s HTML5 performance, for instance, places the browser at the top with an HTML5test.com score of 269 points. The performance test was done on a Samsung Galaxy S II.
Here’s the full list of changes and new features in Opera Mobile 11.1:
- Added support for Google AutoComplete
- Added ability to search directly from the address bar
- Added intelligent domain suggest which suggests your most used domain endings
- Added support for country domain auto-complete such as .ru or .id
- Added user agent setting
- Improved CSS, HTML5 standards support
- Improved text selection
- Added support for Google voice search
- Added exit button option
- Added support for external keyboard in Honeycomb
- Added experimental support for Flash in Honeycomb
- Added support for downloading multimedia files
- Cache is now stored in Android cache directory
- Web Search intent support
- Fix for LTE network speed limit
- Fix for force close related to volume keys
- Fix for Opera locking in landscape mode
- Fix so that 7″ 800×480 tablets will get tablet UI
- Fix for problems with colors on ZT-180 devices
- Fix for several crash bugs (including crash at startup)
- Permissions: See bit.ly/opera_permissions
- General bug fixes and improvements
Is Opera the default browser on your Android device? Why or why not?