We all know the true capabilities of custom ROMs compared to stock ROMs. That is why most people prefer using tweaked and optimized custom ROMs on their Android phones.
But, before you can flash a custom ROM, you have to either root your phone or unlock your phone’s bootloader. In this instructional guide, we will be tackling how to unlock the bootloader on your HTC One X. Read on to learn how to unlock your HTC One X’s bootloader–the official way.
- Unlocking your phone’s bootloader will void your phone’s warranty.
- You will lose all phone data by unlocking your phone’s bootloader.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One X. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- HTC Sync installed on your computer. You can download the installer from HTC’s official support page.
- Fastboot package — Get it from here (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB).
- Create a backup of your phone data and files.
- Charge your phone battery to 70% or more (full charge recommended).
- Download HTC Sync from the link provided above and install it to your computer. This will also install the required HTC drivers to your computer.
- Download the Fastboot package from the link provided above.
- Extract Fastboot.zip to your computer.
- Go to HTC Development page and make an account. Log-in to the site using your HTC account.
- Go to HTC’s Unlock Bootloader page.
- From the list of supported devices, select All Other Supported Models.
- Click Begin Unlock Bootloader. Select Yes when a warning message appears. On the next screen, you will see on-screen instructions on how to unlock your bootloader. You may use this as your guide.
- Turn off your HTC One X.
- Reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode by pressing the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously. NOTE: Once in Bootloader Mode, you will be using the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Fastboot from the Bootloader menu.
- Connect your HTC One X to the computer via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window on the computer. Navigate to where the Fastboot program is located. NOTE: For Windows 7 users, you can directly open a command prompt from a specific folder. Go to the selected folder. Press Shift and right mouse button in any vacant space in the folder. A menu will appear. Select Open Command Window here and a command prompt will appear with the location of the selected folder.
- To make sure that your phone has successfully connected to your computer, type the command
- Type the command
fastboot oem get_identifier_token. The Command prompt will display your phone’s Token ID.
- Copy your Token ID. When copying your Token ID, start from the line
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and end at the line
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>. NOTE: To copy the Token ID from the command prompt, right-click on the command prompt window. A menu will appear. Select Mark and highlight your Token ID. After highlighting your Token ID, click the right mouse button to copy it.
- Go back to HTC development page and submit your Token ID. You will receive a file Unlock.code.bin via your email. You can also refer to the instructions attached in the email as your guide.
- Download the file and paste it to the Fastboot package folder.
- Go back to command prompt window and type the command
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin then press the Enter key.
- Your phone will receive an Unlock Bootloader request. Use the Volume Keys to select Yes and tap the Power button to confirm your action.
- Your phone will automatically reboot and will perform a factory reset.
- To confirm that your phone’s bootloader has been unlocked, reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode. The word UNLOCKED will be displayed on top of the Bootloader menu.
Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked your HTC One X’s bootloader.