HTC One X: How to make HTC Sense 4.0 launcher run smoothly and with no lag
If you’ve got an HTC One X, you may have noticed a bit of lag when navigating around the user interface. Don’t worry, you are not the only one who’s been experiencing this problem. HTC Sense 4.0, the latest version of the Sense UI, has an issue when you scroll through the pages on the home screen. It lags or stutters, which annoys most users.
The HTC One X is one of the most amazing Android devices if you consider power and stylish design. Its attractive, smooth edges make the device look very classy and slick, not to mention that it’s in possession of a great looking touchscreen display. The device has several features to brag about, such as its powerful quad-core Tegra 3 processor, which makes it faster than most devices.
On the other hand, it also features the latest version of the Sense UI, Sense 4.0, which some users do not like even with the latest improvements that HTC has built into it. It caused a problem because the beautiful depth effects of the widgets that the UI features are quite resource-heavy, causing lags or stutters when scrolling through the homescreen, not to mention that the processor’s potential was not optimized.
Fortunately XDA Developers member hamdir was able to come up with a fix for the problem. The fix works by removing the depth effects to the widgets. There are actually two fixes, one to remove the depth effects and the other to disable it completely. Unfortunately, the fix only works for firmware versions 1.29.401.11 and 1.29.401.7.
If you want to flash this fix see the requirements and instructions below.
- HTC One X with ClockworkMod Recovery. See our guides on installing official ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on the HTC One X and using an all-in-one tool for rooting, bootloader unlocking, and flashing custom recovery.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Download a backup of the stock Rosie Launcher for HTC Sense 4.0 (choose one that matches your software version):
- Download one of the two flavors of the mod (make sure you choose the right link according to your phone’s software version):
- Software version 1.29.401.7
- Software version 1.29.401.11
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One X. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Copy mod’s ZIP file to the root of your One X’s SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, boot into Bootloader Mode first by pressing the Volume Down key and the Power Key. At the HBOOT screen, select the Recovery option by using the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- From the recovery menu, select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card.
- Look for the mod’s ZIP file and select it.
- Confirm the installation by selecting Yes.
- Once the installation is completed reboot your phone by selecting Go Back then select Reboot System Now.
- If you want to revert to the stock Rosie Launcher of HTC Sense 4.0, follow all steps above but use the ZIP file containing the stock launcher.
Congratulations! You can now enjoy a smoother HTC One X experience, eliminating that annoying lag.