With the release of Google’s Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update, more and more developers have shown their interest by bringing custom ROMs to many Android devices. One of the most popular ROMs is the CyanogenMod, and the HTC One X is getting another custom ROM based on CyanogenMod 10 (CM10).
The Domination ROM is a newcomer Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM for the HTC One X and takes Jelly Bean to the next level.
The said ROM introduces many features that mashes up different ROMs, like AOKP, for its customization features. Since Domination ROM is entirely built from CM10, don’t expect it to be free from bugs.
As of now, it is currently in its development stages with some features still disabled. But, if you still wish to try it out on your HTC One X, then we recommend that you do a backup first of your default ROM.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the One X to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Domination ROM based on CyanogenMod 10.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One X. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC One X with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following files and save them to your computer:
- Domination ROM for HTC One X (endeavoru-Domination-8.zip, md5sum: b2b4b0f7ec0f139d6412611657703199)
- GApps (Google Apps) Package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Flash Boot (Flash_Boot.zip, 477.86 kB)
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing HTC Sync.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable HTC Sync and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM and the GApps ZIP files to your phone’s SD card.
- Extract the Flash_Boot.zip file and place the extracted files inside a single folder. Name the folder as Fastboot for easy referencing.
- Open the ROM’s ZIP file that you have downloaded and extract the boot.img file from the contents inside it. Copy the boot.img file to the same folder where you have placed the extracted Flash_Boot.zip files.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into Bootloader Mode. You can do this by holding down the Volume Down button while powering on your phone.
- Highlight Fastboot by using the Volume buttons to navigate and select it using the Power button to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. The bootloader screen should say “FASTBOOT USB.”
- On your computer, go to the Fastboot folder. Double-click on the flash-boot-windows.bat file to automatically flash the required kernel to your phone.
- Once complete, press the Power button on your phone to select Bootloader to go back to the main bootloader menu. Navigate to Recovery and select it using the Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- NOTE: You can skip this step if you came from the previous version of this ROM.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- Repeat step 11, but this time around select the GApps package file.
- Head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go back.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Domination ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC One X.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.