The long awaited treats for our Android devices are finally here. Google has finally announced the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates. Although I’m expecting an Android 5.0 update with a new and improved Android OS, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean gives a significant boost to the sweet Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, bringing to you a beautiful user interface and buttery smooth performance. The said update will be running on the newly released Galaxy Nexus phones and the Nexus 7 tablet. You can also take a peek at the latest updates by downloading it via SDK.
Senior XDA member tgascoigne has successfully ported the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the HTC One X. Although the ROM contains a lot of bugs and is not suitable for daily use, you can get a glimpse of the latest update running on your mobile phone. Read on to learn how to flash the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to your HTC One X.
- The software mentioned in this guide is intended only for preview, since it is a port of Android 4.1 from recent Nexus devices, and being so, is not stable enough for use daily. Several important functions currently do not work, including Wi-Fi, radio, audio, and camera.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One X. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC One X with unlocked bootloader and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- A Windows PC
- Download and install HTC Sync to install the necessary drivers on your computer. Make sure to close HTC Sync before following the procedures below.
- Disable system tools such as anti-virus software, firewall programs, and HTC Sync to avoid any interruptions throughout the procedure.
- Charge your phone’s battery to 70% or more.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the following files:
- Extract Flash_Boot.zip into a folder on your computer. It will contain a subfolder called ignore, and 3 files all beginning with flash-boot-*.
- Using WinZIP, WinRAR, 7-Zip, or other similar software, open jellybean_endeavoru_tgascoigne_4.zip and extract the boot.img file inside the archive into the same location where you extracted the flash-boot-* files to.
- Copy jellybean_endeavoru_tgascoigne_4.zip to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your HTC One X.
- Reboot your HTC One X into Bootloader Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Down key and Power button until bootloader boots.
- NOTE: Once in Bootloader Mode, use the Volume Keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Fastboot from the bootloader menu.
- Using the USB cable, connect your phone to the computer. The bootloader screen should say “FASTBOOT USB.”
- Go to the folder where you extracted the fastboot package and click the flash-boot-windows.bat file. This will install the required kernel on your phone.
- An “OKAY/Finished” will appear after successfully flashing the kernel.
- Select Bootloader on your phone to go back to the main bootloader menu and select Recovery to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- In Recovery Mode, perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Mounts and Storage and select Format /system on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main recovery menu, then select Install ZIP From SD Card and choose jellybean_endeavoru_tgascoigne_4.zip. Confirm the action on the next screen to begin flashing the ROM to your phone.
- Once done, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Voila! You have successfully flashed the ported version of the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC One X.