HTC One V: How to unlock bootloader
The HTC One V already carries Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich with a dose of HTC Sense 4.0, which is more than perfect for some users. But, if you are not satisfied with the performance of the phone’s stock ROM, or want to have a Sense-less ROM, you should try installing tweaked and optimized custom ROMs to your mobile phone.
But, before we tackle how to improve the performance of the HTC One V, you will need to unlock its bootloader for you to flash custom ROMs. For the price of voiding your phone’s warranty and the risk of bricking your phone, unlocking your phone’s bootloader lets you flash custom ROMs and enhance your phone’s performance.
Read on to learn how to unlock your HTC One V’s bootloader.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One V. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Unlocking your phone’s bootloader will void your warranty.
- You will lose your mobile phone’s data by unlocking your phone’s bootloader.
- Download HTC Sync to your computer. You will be needing this to install the USB drivers for HTC One V on the computer.
- Download the Fastboot package here (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB).
- WinRAR or 7-Zip installed on your computer.
- Charge your phone’s battery to 70% or more.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download HTC Sync from the link above and install it on your computer. This will be needed to install the USB drivers for HTC One V.
- Download the Fastboot package from the link provided above.
- Extract Fastboot.zip to a folder on your computer.
- Go to HTC Development page and make an account. Use your account to log into the site.
- Go to HTC’s Unlock Bootloader page.
- Go to the list of supported devices and select All Other Supported Models.
- Click Begin Unlock Bootloader and select Yes when a warning message appears. On the next page, you will see on-screen instructions on how to unlock your HTC One V’s bootloader. You can use this as your guide.
- Switch off your HTC One V.
- Press the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously to reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode.
- NOTE: Once in Bootloader Mode, you will be using the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Fastboot from the Bootloader menu.
- Using your USB cable, connect your HTC One V to the computer.
- Open a command prompt window on the computer. Navigate it to where the Fastboot program is located.
- NOTE: For Windows 7 users, you can easily navigate a command prompt from a specific folder. Open the desired folder. Press the Shift and right mouse button in any vacant portion in the folder. A menu will appear. Select Open Command Window here and a command prompt will appear with the location of the selected folder.
- To make sure that your HTC One V has successfully connected to the computer, type the command
fastboot devices. Your phone’s serial number will be displayed on the screen.
- Type the command
fastboot oem get_identifier_token. The command prompt will display your HTC One V’s Token ID.
- Copy the Token ID. When copying the Token ID, start from the line
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>and end at the line
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>.
- NOTE: To copy the Token ID from the command prompt window, right-click on the command prompt window. A menu will appear. Select Mark and highlight the Token ID. After highlighting your Token ID, click the right mouse button to copy it.
- Go back to HTC Development page and submit your Token ID. You will receive a file Unlock.code.bin via your email. Further instructions will also be attached to the email. You may use this as your guide.
- Download the Unlock.code.bin and paste it into the Fastboot package folder.
- Go back to the command prompt window and type the command
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.binthen hit the Enter key.
- Your HTC One V will receive an Unlock Bootloader request. Use the Volume keys to select Yes and tap the Power button to confirm your action.
- Your HTC One V will automatically reboot and perform a factory reset.
- To confirm that your phone’s bootloader has been unlocked, reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode. The word UNLOCKED will be displayed on top of the menu.
Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked your HTC One V’s Bootloader. What are you waiting for? Start customizing your HTC One V today with all the custom ROMs, mods, and hacks available in the Android community. Happy customizing!