Gone are the days where we’d have to fiddle with command prompts to get root access. These days, there are rooting packages that can easily root your phone with a click of a button. Even luckier for HTC One S owners, there is a toolkit that isn’t just limited to rooting your phone. You can also use this toolkit to flash custom recovery, do commands, flash drivers, gain permanent root access, and much more to your mobile phone.
Driven to help the newbies in the Android OS, XDA Developer hasoon2000 created an all-in-one toolkit for the HTC One S. Using his expertise in scripts, he was able to come up with a handy tool to help beginners play with their mobile phone and jump-start their way of becoming expert Android developers.
In this guide, we will be tackling on how to install and use hasoon2000’s toolkit. Read on to learn how to use the all-in-one toolkit for the HTC One S.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC One S. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
Installing the Toolkit
- Download the HTC One S all-in-one toolkit from here (One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0.rar, 51.7 MB) to your computer. NOTE: Do not change the name of file.
- Use an extracting tool to extract the One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0.rar to your computer. NOTE: Make sure to extract the file directly to one of your computer’s drives (e.g. save the file to drive C:\ so the the file should be located at C:\One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0).
- Navigate to the folder where the extracted files are located.
- Double-click on One S.exe to launch the toolkit.
Using the Toolkit
If you have successfully launched the toolkit, you can use it to unlock your phone’s bootloader, install custom recovery, or root your phone permanently.
Unlocking the Bootloader
You can unlock the phone’s bootloader using the toolkit in just five steps.
- To install the HTC Drivers to your computer. Click 1. Install HTC Drivers and press Go. HTC Drivers will automatically be installed to your computer.
- Click 2. Register at HTCDev and press Go. This will redirect you to the HTC Development page. Make an account and log-in.
- Click 3. Get Token ID and select Go. A command prompt will appear showing your phone’s Token ID. Make sure your phone is connected to your computer. Highlight the Token ID and copy it. Close the command prompt after copying the Token ID. NOTE: To copy the Token ID, press the right mouse button on the command prompt and a pop-up menu will appear. Select Mark and highlight the Token ID. After highlighting the Token ID, press the right mouse button to copy it.
- Submit your Token ID to the HTC development site by selecting 4. Submit Token ID. Make sure you are logged in to your HTCDev account. You will receive a file Unlock_Code.bin in your email. Download the file and paste it to the Data folder inside the HTC One S all-in-one toolkit folder.
- If all are set, select 5. Unlock Bootloader and click Go.
If you have successfully unlocked your phone’s bootloader, you can now flash a custom recovery (or the stock recovery) to your phone. All you have to do is select one recovery from the list:
- ClockworkMod Recovery 188.8.131.52
- ClockworkMod Recovery 184.108.40.206 Touch
- Interim Touch (Custom ClockworkMod)
- Stock Recovery
Select one and click Flash Recovery to start flashing the selected recovery image to your phone.
You can also perform commands to your phone by using this toolkit. You can perform the following commands:
- Boot into Bootloader
- Boot into Recovery
- Reboot Phone
- Relock Bootloader
Select the command and click Do Command to perform the command to your phone.
Gaining Permanent Root
Do the following steps to gain permanent root access to your HTC One S:
- Connect your HTC One S to the computer via USB cable.
- Launch the HTC One S all-in-one toolkit.
- Under Commands, select Boot into Recovery and click Do Command. Wait until your phone boots into Recovery Mode.
- Under Extras, select the Perm Root (GB/ICS) and click Run.
- The toolkit will automatically flash the required files to permanently root your HTC One S.
If you’re a newbie or if you are allergic to the complexities of dev-related tasks for your phone (e.g., rooting using ADB commands), this all-in-one toolkit can be the best buddy and companion to your HTC One S.