ClockworkMod Recovery is an essential tool for both professional and wanna-be Android developers. This tool can be used to wipe data off your phone, create a backup of your ROM, and save your phone from getting bricked by restoring a backup ROM. Of course, flashaholics know that one of ClockworkMod Recovery’s best features is being able to flash custom ROMs and MODs that’ll boost your phone’s performance. These are just some of the extended features of ClockworkMod Recovery that you cannot find from a stock Recovery.
If you own an HTC One S and you want to tweak your phone’s performance, installing ClockworkMod Touch Recovery beforehand will be a wise move. Paul O’Brien, a developer from Android @ MoDaCo, offers us his unofficial ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for the HTC One S. In this guide, we will be tackling how to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery to your HTC One S.
- An HTC One S with unlocked bootloader. You can unlock your phone’s bootloader by going to HTC’s development page.
- In case your files get corrupted or erased, create a backup of your mobile data or transfer the files to the phone’s SD card. Check out these guides on how to backup your mobile data and how to sync your data to the cloud.
- Battery power of 50% or more to prevent your HTC One S from shutting down in the middle of the installation process.
NOTE: This guide is written for educational purposes only. Use these instructions at your own risk.
- Download the Fastboot package from here (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB) to your computer.
- Download the unofficial ClockworkMod Touch Recovery from here (r2-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img, md5sum: 6e3dfe0d22c91dacd77db035da983f6c) to your computer.
- Extract Fastboot.zip to a folder on your computer.
- Copy r2-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img to the folder where the extracted Fastboot.zip files are located.
- Open a terminal or command prompt on your computer and navigate to the folder containing the extracted Fastboot.zipfiles.
- NOTE: If you are using Windows 7, you can instantly open a command prompt from a specific folder by right-clicking on a vacant spot from the folder. A pop-up menu will appear. Select Open Command Window Here and a command prompt will be opened with the location of the desired folder.
- Turn off your HTC One S.
- Hold the Volume Down key and Power button to reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode. Use the Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Bootloader Mode.
- Select Fastboot from the bootloader menu.
- Once you are in Fastboot Mode, connect your HTC One S to the computer using your USB cable.
- On the command prompt, type the command
fastboot devices to check if your phone has successfully connected with the computer. If connection is successful, your phone’s serial number will be displayed on the screen.
- To flash the r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img, type the command:
fastboot flash recovery r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img
- After installation is complete, reboot your HTC One S by typing the command:
- To access ClockworkMod Recovery mode, reboot your HTC One S into Bootloader Mode. From there, select Recovery from the menu. When you see the red warning triangle, press Volume Up and Power simultaneously.
Reverting to Stock Recovery
If you wish to revert back to stock recovery, repeat the procedure above and flash the stock recovery image file (ville_recovery_signed.img md5sum: b107f4b007abdc782bea64d925033f00) to your HTC One S.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the unofficial ClockworkMod Touch Recovery to your HTC One S. You can now customize your HTC One S and your Android experience by flashing custom ROMs and hacks.