We have already spent some hands-on time with the Garmin-ASUS nuvifone A50. Well this thing just got official, and in the process found itself a new name, ‘Garminfone’.
We’ve pretty much covered all the relevant specifications before, but for a quick recap, the ‘Garminfone’ will provide you with a custom build of Android running on 1.6 (upgradable in the future), WiFi, HSPA, microSD (up to 32GB) and a 3.5-inch HVGA display.
This phone is clearly oriented towards the navigation conscious, and as such it comes with a wind-shield mount, doubling up as a charging dock too. The full press release is available after the jump with some extra specification tid-bits.
Garminfone, exclusively from T-Mobile USA, Inc., is the first Android-powered smartphone and fully integrated Garmin Ltd. navigation experience in one. This sleek device features multiple positioning technologies and on-board maps to provide navigation from the middle of town to the middle of nowhere – and back. A full-touch 3G smartphone, Garminfone provides driving, walking and public transportation navigation with voice and on-screen directions and automatic re-routing. Helpful Garmin travel applications such as dynamic, real-time traffic; weather; estimated time of arrival; and gas prices are pre-installed and easy to access and use. Garmin Voice Studio, an exclusive Android navigation application, allows customers to record custom voice directions from family and friends. And with access to Android Market, customers can choose from among thousands of applications to enhance their journeys.
Garminfone also delivers essential smartphone capabilities, including easy access to personal and corporate e-mail, messaging, full HTML Web browsing and a 3-megapixel camera. In addition, Garminfone allows customers to easily call, navigate and charge the battery simultaneously with the included dashboard and window mount.
Key features of Garminfone
- Premium Navigation and Design Features
- Voice and on-screen turn-by-turn directions with automatic re-routing for walking, driving or public transit
- Lane guidance, junction view, speed indicators and expected time of arrival
- North America maps, including nearly six million points of interest are pre-loaded on the phone for fast and always-available acces
- Multiple positioning technologies provide location no matter where you are
- Pre-installed travel applications include dynamic, real-time traffic, weather and localized information, including nearby gas prices, restaurants, movie times and more
- Garmin Voice Studio, an exclusive Android navigation application that allows customers to record custom voice directions from family and friends
- Premium services including flight status, local search and more
- Large 3.5-inch capacitive touch display with auto day and night modes
- Charging dashboard and window mount included
- Full HTML Web browser with pinch and zoom capabilities
- Integrated Google™ technology including preloaded applications such Google Maps™ Street
- 3-megapixel autofocus camera with digital zoom
- Music player that supports MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, MPEG4, WAV and MIDI
- Stereo Bluetooth 2.1/A2DP
- microSD expansion slot supporting optional removable memory up to 32 GB
- Built-in mini USB
- Easy access to personal and corporate e-mail, including support for Microsoft Exchange, AOL®, Windows Live Mail, Gmail™ and most other POP3 and IMAP e-mail services
- Google Talk pre-loaded
- Built-in support for Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE world phone (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- Dual-band 3G UMTS/HSPA world phone (Bands I& IV)
- Dimensions: 4.57 inches x 2.45 inches x 0.51 inches; Display: 3.5 inches; Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Talk time: up to five hours; Standby time: up to 10.4 days
- View, YouTube™, Google Search™ by voice and
- Google Talk™ – and access to Android Market
Garminfone will be available in the U.S. exclusively to T-Mobile customers later this spring. More details are available at http://www.garminfone.t-mobile.com.