How to Enable Bravia Reality Engine on the Nexus S
Sony Ericsson handsets are known for great quality cameras for snapping pictures and recording HD videos. Apart from that, most of Sony Ericsson’s smartphones under the Xperia line also feature the exclusive Sony Bravia Reality Engine.
The Bravia Reality Engine is actually software that basically runs a post-processing engine that enhances the quality of pictures and videos that have been taken by the phone’s camera. Sony Ericsson may no longer hold that sense of exclusiveness, as the guys at XDA-Developers have managed to port the Bravia Reality Engine not just to the Xperia X10 but also to other Android devices, as well. This is certainly good news, as the Bravia Reality display has been reportedly known to bring true-to-life images in superb clarity.
First on the line to feature the Bravia Reality Engine port are lucky owners of the Nexus S. However, those using the Nexus S with Super AMOLED display won’t probably need this engine because the device’s Voodoo kernel already has an option for enhancing video and image quality. It’s a different story for users of the S-LCD model of the Nexus S. Such users may want to try the Bravia Reality Engine to improve the display on their handsets.
To be able to use the Bravia Reality Engine on your Nexus S (S-LCD variant), you need the following:
- Nexus S which must be rooted and running a ROM based on Android 2.3.x Gingerbread
- Bravia Engine Package. Get it from here and save it to your computer.
- Terminal Emulator app installed on the device. Install it from here.
- ES File Explorer / Root explorer installed on the device.
- Extract the contents of the Bravia Engine package and place all the contents inside a folder without modifying any of the extracted files.
- Copy be_movie and be_photo to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Using either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, browse to /system/etc on your phone. Mount the partition as R/W.
- After mounting the partition, navigate to the root directory of your SD card, locate be_movie and be_photo, and copy them to the /system/etc directory on your phone.
- Go to the /system directory and open the file named build.prop and edit it using any editing application.
- Add the following lines to the build.prop file:
#Sony Bravia Engine Service
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/etc/be_movie");
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/etc/be_photo");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/build.prop");
- Save build.prop after adding the lines.
- Open the Terminal Emulator app on your device and enter the following commands one after the other:
busybox chmod 0755 /system/etc/be_photo
busybox chmod 0755 /system/etc/be_movie
busybox chown 0.0 /system/etc/be_photo
busybox chown 0.0 /system/etc/be_movie
- Reboot your device for the changes to take effect.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Bravia Reality Engine into your device.