Development for the Samsung Nexus S is still very much active today despite the fact that this phone was released two years ago. Developers have been looking for ways to bring the much-talked about Jelly Bean platform to both older and newer Android devices. Thanks to their efforts, owners of older Android devices get to keep up with the latest updates and custom ROMs for their devices.
The Nexus S GT-I9020 is far from being forgotten since an official Jelly Bean update is released this month. But, if you can't wait any longer for the official release and want to don your Nexus S with Jelly Bean goodness, you have come to the right place.
XDA Developers member steven676 has made it possible for Nexus S owners to try out Jelly Bean via an SDK port. Despite the fact that this ROM is SDK-based, it still runs smoothly. Follow the requirements and the instructions below for flashing SDK-based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on the Nexus S GT-I9020.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Nexus S, model number GT-I9020. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Nexus S GT-I9020 (GSM version) with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Jelly Bean 4.1 SDK Port ROM package (update-crespo-JRN83C-preview-2012063001.zip, md5sum: 015e322b048b7e1464a90a87a5a6bcb1)
- ROM Service Pack 4 package (update-crespo-JRN83C-preview-2012063001-SP4.zip, md5sum: ac85b1e309ba3a3f438efe0954c11c32)
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean 4.1 SDK Port ROM and the ROM Service Pack 4 to your phone's SD card. Do not extract them.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons to boot into Fastboot Mode. In Fastboot Mode, highlight Recovery using the Volume keys and tap the Power button to select it. This will then boot your phone into Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partitionand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advance.From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cacheand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Once the data wipe is done, select Install ZIP from SD Card. Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and navigate to the update-crespo-JRN83C-preview-2012063001.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen. The ROM will then start installing.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and install the update-crespo-JRN83C-preview-2012063001-SP4.zip file in the same manner in step 4.
- After the installation, select Go Back and then choose Reboot System Now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
Kudos! You have successfully installed the SDK-based Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM to your Samsung Nexus S GT-I9020 (GSM version). How do you like it so far? If you find it great or otherwise, let us know through your comments below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.