It has been months already but Jelly Bean-based custom ROMs are still as hot as freshly cooked pancakes as developers keep rolling them out for both Android phones and tablets. Being the most sought-after OS today, Jelly Bean has been the talk of Android users for quite some time now. Who wouldn't talk about Jelly Bean? It is the fastest and smoothest Android OS to date and probably, when the newer OS comes out, we can expect even greater things.
And, because Jelly Bean is practically everywhere, most Android devices, if not all, are receiving lots of love from the developer community in the form of custom ROMs. There are several Android devices that don't have any news about receiving a Jelly Bean update, much to the dismay of the owners. But, as they say, if there's a will, there's always a way. Thanks to independent developers, Jelly Bean is not something we can just dream of. We can actually experience how fast it is through custom ROMs.
Today, another Jelly Bean-based ROM is released for the Samsung Nexus S 4G SPH-D720 – the Rasbeanjelly custom ROM.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Nexus S 4G D720 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Rasbeanjelly custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Nexus S 4G, model number SPH-D720. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Nexus S 4G SPH-D720 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the Rasbeanjelly ROM package (rascarlo_Crespo4g_ota_2012-08-09.zip, md5sum: f6a27bab2fccc294cabd2c535a374c09)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Rasbeanjelly ROM package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- In Fastboot Mode, highlight the Recovery option using the Volume keys and select the option using the Power button. This will boot your phone into Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- After the data wipe, select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Navigate to the rascarlo_Crespo4g_ota_2012-08-09.zip file and select it. Confirm the installation on the next screen to start installing the ROM to your phone.
- Once the installation completes, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the recently installed ROM.
Great job! You have successfully installed the Rasbeanjelly ROM on your Samsung Nexus S 4G SPH-D720. Now that your phone's interface is as smooth as butter and is faster in performance, how do you like the ROM so far? Let us know through posting a comment below.