Nexus S 4G owners are very blessed to have their phones given much attention by the developers. Jelly Bean ROMs have recently been made for the Nexus S phones, such as the SDK-based Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus S GT-I9020 (international version).
The 4G variant of the said phone had a Jelly Bean ROM not too long ago but a few features were not working. Now, another Jelly Bean ROM has been released to address the issues that the previous ROM had.
This new ROM is a port of the Jelly Bean ROM from the Nexus S GT-I9020, which in turn was a port from the Jelly Bean ROM on the Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250. (Now you know what they mean when they say Android is portable.)
XDA Developers member hp420 came up with another Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus S 4G, this time, with working audio, calls, 3G connection, Wi-Fi, Google Now, and Project Butter. WiMax, however, is still riddled with issues, as is Face Unlock, Bluetooth media, and GPS signal.
If you have tried the previous ROM, you might want to try your luck with this one. Who knows, you might like this ROM better than the first one.
For you to get a second serving of Jelly Bean for your Nexus S 4G, follow theses requirements and easy-to-follow instructions for flashing ported Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on the Nexus S 4G SPH-D720.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Nexus S 4G, model number SPH-D720. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Nexus S 4G SPH-D720 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM Version 7 package (v7.Jelly.Bean.crespo4g.zip, md5sum: 7a0d8032211ddb7b8f47d038785b6620)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM Version 7 package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- In Fastboot Mode, highlight the Recovery option using the Volume keys and select the option using the Power button. This will boot your phone into Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backupon the next screen.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partitionand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced.From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- After the data wipe, select Install ZIP from SD Card and select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Navigate to the v7.Jelly.Bean.crespo4g.zipfile. Confirm the installation on the next screen to start installing the ROM to your phone.
- Once the installation completes, select Go Back and select Reboot System Now. This will reboot your phone to the recently installed ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the ported Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM Version 7 to your Samsung Nexus S 4G SPH-D720. How is it compared to the previous ROM? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below.