Quite a lot of MIUI ROMs based on ICS were recently released for various devices and still other users are craving for more. Ice Cream Sandwich is definitely selling like hotcakes and many people are crossing their fingers hoping that their device will be the next one to be filled with this tasty OS. Now, it’s the Nexus S 4G’s turn to get Ice Cream Sandwich via MIUI 4.
The new ROM, also known as Brainmaster’s MIUI, is a new MIUI v4 ROM which was successfully ported to the Nexus S 4G by XDA Developer memberstyle=”font-style: italic;”>fergie716using Brainmaster’s MIUI for the Nexus S.
The highlight of this ROM is that users get to enjoy the cool interface, as well as other features like an intuitive notification bar, themes support, etc. On the other hand, just like other ROMs, this one also has a few problems. The developer mentioned that there is still a problem with MMS and 4G. A fix for the MMS issue, however, has been released.
This guide is only applicable to the Nexus S 4G. You should not apply this to any other variant of the Nexus S or else it may cause irreversible damage to your device. To make sure, check your phone’s version by going to Settings > About Phone. If you see SPH-D720, then this guide is applicable to your device.
Go through all the necessary requirements on the list and make sure that you don’t skip anything.
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Nexus S 4G.
- Make a back up of all important files and data (i.e., SMS, contacts, files, and APN settings).
- Charge the battery of your phone to at least 70% to avoid power loss during installation.
- Download the latest version of the ICS-based Brainmaster MIUI 4 for the Nexus S 4G from here (2.2.17_MIUI_BRAINMASTER_NEXUS_S_4G.zip).
- Download MMS fix file from here (MIUI_MMS_FIX_Oodie.zip).
- Download the package for MIUI Android fixes from here (MIUI_ANDROID_FIXES_2-19.zip).
NOTE: Use the information in this article at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for any damage arising from your use of this information.
Here are the instructions on how to upgrade the Nexus S 4G to Ice Cream Sandwich via MIUI 4.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to the SD card of your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. (Hold the Volume Up key and the Power button together until your phone boots into recovery mode.)
- Perform a full wipe (use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select):
- Choose “wipe data/factory reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Choose “advanced”, then select “format system”, then choose “Yes” to confirm.
- Choose “format boot”, then select “Yes” to confirm. Choose “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Scroll and choose “install zip from SD card” then “choose zip from SD car”. Choose 2.2.17_MIUI_BRAINMASTER_NEXUS_S_4G.zip and confirm that you want to start installing.
- Select “go back”, then “reboot system now” to reboot your phone. You will experience a lot of force close errors. This is expected behavior.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode again.
- Install MIUI_ANDROID_FIXES_2-19.zip and MIUI_MMS_FIX_Oodie.zip in the same manner you installed the MIUI 4 ROM earlier.
- Select “go back”, then “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Easy, isn’t it? Now you can enjoy the Ice Cream Sandwich on your Nexus S 4G thanks to Brainmaster MIUI.