Upgrade the Nexus S 4G to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich Build IMM26
Following in the footsteps of its older brother, the Nexus S 4G can now be manually upgraded to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.
When the Android ICS update was released, the Nexus S was one of the first few devices that became the guinea pigs of XDA Developers. And now, you can enjoy the latest ICS update on your Nexus S 4G.
XDA Developer mrxkills is kind enough to share his discovered treasures of the official ICS update. This update is based on Android 4.0.4 ICS for your Nexus S 4G on Sprint and CDMA variant of the device, offering a new software modem, bootloader, a new IMM26 build number, and the sweetest ICS experience on your mobile phone. Compared to other custom ICS ROMs, it is more stable with most of the features of ICS running on your device.
If you want to sprinkle the sweetness of the latest ICS build IMM26 on your device, read and follow our guide on how to perfectly blend the sweetness of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and your Nexus S 4G.
- Nexus S 4G with unlocked bootloader
- Odin3 v1.81 — Get it from here.
- IMM26 Production Firmware — Get it from here.
- USB drivers for Nexus S 4G installed on the computer.
- Backup your phone data before attempting to upgrade the firmware.
- Ensure enough battery power on your phone. Full charge is recommended.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. This can be done by going to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Turn off your phone.
- Download Odin3 v1.81 from the link above and save it to your computer.
- Download the IMM26 production firmware package from the link above and save it to your computer. Unpack the contents of the ZIP file into a folder on your computer. You will get three *.tar files after extraction.
- Run Odin3 on your computer by double-clicking the executable file that you downloaded earlier.
- In Odin3, load the *.tar files into their respective tabs. Click on the tab name (which are shown in bold text below) and select the corresponding *.tar file:
- Bootloader — SPH-D720_IMM26_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar
- PDA — SPH-D720_IMM26_PDA_signed.tar
- Phone — SPH-D720_IMM26_KL2_Modem_signed.tar
- Under Option in Odin3, make sure that only “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” are checked.
- Boot up your phone into download mode by holding down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons as you press the Power key.
- Once the phone is already in download mode, connect it to your computer via USB cable. Odin3 should be able to detect your phone and show the ID:COM box in yellow. Otherwise, you will need to install the USB drivers for your phone, or you may have a faulty USB cable.
- Press the Start button in Odin3 to start flashing the files to your phone. The whole process will take about 3 to 5 minutes. Your phone will automatically reboot when flashing is completed.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully updated your Nexus S 4G to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build IMM26.