The Google Nexus 7 is the first Android tablet to run Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean out of the box. With Jelly Bean, the tablet is super smooth, thanks to Project Butter. However, XDA Developers member jamesst20 is not yet satisfied with the tablet's smooth interface, compelling him to create a more-optimized custom ROM.
SmoothROM is one of the smoothest ROMs for the Asus Nexus 7. It is made possible by removing some apps from the ROM and using a custom kernel that will significantly boost the performance of the tablet. The ROM uses the AROMA Installer, so you can choose which kernel, GApps, and other settings to include during ROM installation. You can even install a genuine tablet interface on your Nexus 7. This ROM is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
This guide shows you how to flash SmoothROM for the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Asus Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Nexus 7 with unlocked bootloader
- For additional help, you may refer to this toolkit that will easily unlock the bootloader on your Nexus 7.
- Download the SmoothROM for your Nexus 7 (SmoothROM-v3.4.zip, md5sum: 1d89f8e15ef0dcc827c99b0813950b5b)
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing via JROMFlasher
- Prep your tablet using JROMFlasher. This toolkit will wipe the data, flash custom recovery, and uploads SmoothROM to your tablet's SD card.
- Once you have done all the steps, go to Install ZIP from SD card in Recovery Mode.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the SmoothROM ZIP file that the JROMFlasher transferred to your tablet's SD card. Confirm the action to flash the ROM to your tablet.
- Select Reboot system now to reboot your tablet.
Flashing manually via ClockworkMod Recovery
For this method, you will need ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your Nexus 7. You may refer to our guide on how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 126.96.36.199 to your Nexus 7.
- Copy the SmoothROM ZIP file to your tablet's SD card.
- Switch off your tablet.
- Connect the tablet to the computer via USB cable. Hold down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power until you see an Android robot lying on its back.
- Using Volume Down, highlight Recovery mode and select it by pressing Power. After a while, the icon of Android with a red triangle appears. Hold down Power, then press Volume Up to enter Recovery Mode.
- Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen to create a backup of your current ROM.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and select the SmoothROM ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your tablet.
- Once complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your tablet.
Congratulations! You have made your Asus Nesux 7 ultra smooth with SmoothROM.