The Asus Nexus 7 also comes in two variants of differing storage capacities: one having 8 GB and the other having 16 GB. But, users cannot fully use the entire storage capacity of an Android device. Some of the space is used to accommodate the ROM running on your Android device. For some, if not all, an 8 GB device may have about 6 GB of user storage available, or about 13 GB usable storage for 16 GB devices. This is where Slim Bean ROM comes in.
The Slim Bean ROM minimizes the size of the ROM so you will have more usable storage on your Android device. Users may also opt to manually flash additional features of a ROM so they can install the features that they like, thus minimizing the size of a ROM. You will also find no bloatware
ion this ROM. The Nexus 7 can also benefit from more usable storage with the Slim Bean ROM on the tablet.
This guide shows you how to flash the Slim Bean 2.2 ROM for the Nexus 7.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Google Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Google Nexus 7 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Check out this toolkit that will easily root, unlock the bootloader, and flash custom recovery to your Nexus 7.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the grouper.zip and common_2.1.zip files to the root of your tablet's SD card.
- Switch off your Nexus 7.
- Reboot your tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. To do that, connect the tablet to a power source via USB cable. Hold down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power until you see an Android robot lying on its back. Using Volume Down, highlight Recovery mode and select it by pressing Power. After a while, the icon of Android with a red triangle appears. Hold down Power, then press Volume Up to enter Recovery Mode
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /system.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD card and locate the grouper.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your phone.
- NOTE: If the installation process finishes quickly (e.g., about 5 seconds), repeat steps 7 and 8.
- In the same manner as in steps 7 and 8, flash Common_2.1.zip to your tablet.
- Once done, go back to main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your tablet.
Flashing the add-on packages
After flashing the Slim Bean ROM, you can flash the additional packages to enjoy Google Now and Face Unlock.
- Copy the srec_voicedialer_addon_googlenow.zip and face_unlock.zip file to your tablet's SD card.
- Turn off your tablet and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the srec_voicedialer_addon_googlenow.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash it to your tablet.
- In the same manner as in step 4, flash the face_unlock.zip file to your tablet.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your tablet.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Slim Bean ROM on your Google Nexus 7.